New YouTube app

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CybrFyre, May 29, 2015.

1. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008

Advertisements

...on my mini, today. Does not look like the mini itself updated, tho, hard to tell w the version string. I am wondering if apps can update or push out w/o an os update?

The new youtube looks much more like the android app. And, the app's main menu is red with white text.. hard to read. I hope when my xl4 gets this that the stuttering problem is fixed.

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I have the new one as well. Yes, they can update without a system update.

Do you have Plex and iHeartRadio as well under music a folders section?

Boy, that is a nice update!

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  3. Jepato

Jepato Member

Mar 21, 2015
    "The new youtube looks much more like the android app"

A classic example of why many android apps aren't great for large screens and a remote control interface.

4. a_gizmo

a_gizmo New Member

May 8, 2014
    Louisville KY
    Playback on my Premiere with the updated YouTube app looks better but not fully fixed. Played a video and stuttering started after about 3 minutes.

Truthfully, the YouTube app is really just a web interface. That is why it looks the same across most smart TVs and set top boxes. You can even visit the site on your PC by going to https://www.youtube.com/tv through Chrome or IE (Firefox doesn't work). I don't know if the manufacturer or Google controls which version of the interface you get.

5. muzzymate

muzzymate Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Cleveland

Advertisements

Curious to know if it supports 60fps videos...

6. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I highly doubt that either the Opera browser or TiVo's processor could handle youtube 60fps content. So the limitation wouldn't be with the app, the platform would be your biggest problem.

Even the most robust computers are choking on the 60fps spec...

7. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yep, I just fired up YouTube on my Roamio OTA and I have the new version too. While I'm not a big fan of the white-on-red left side nav column, I do like this version better overall. It feels faster and more responsive when clicking around and I think the content within my subscriptions is better organized. Casting from the YouTube app on my iPad still works great. Solid update. Now if we could just get an update to both this app and the Amazon Instant Video app so that the Skip Back and Skip Forward buttons on the TiVo remote take you back/forward several seconds within the video being played...

8. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    If actually just a web interface, I wonder if a browser update or flash to html5 or vice versa is what started causing the poor performance on Premiere.

9. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    no GPU acceleration?

10. a_gizmo

a_gizmo New Member

May 8, 2014
    Louisville KY
    That would be my guess. The interface of my Premiere feels slightly slower after the update that included OnePass.