New White Bolt Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by skypros, Oct 15, 2015.

1. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    The new Bolt Remote misses the mark..... Tivo could of done two thing with the remote that would of made it GREAT.

* The back of the remote should have a matte finish (a rubbery soft touch)
    * The keys should be black...... The letters do not stand out on grey.... and honestly the grey does not look very good (IMHO).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

SalemCat likes this.
  2. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Memorize the keys and don't look at them. I've done that for years. Very handy in the dark.

3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    And that will be very handy when the printing wears off the keys!

4. skypros

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    You mean like Tivos face that has been pre-worn off on the "Tivo button" :rolleyes:

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Just look at the top of this webpage, the logo lost its face as part of their logo updates.

6. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Tivo is not about smiles anymore. The Thriil has gone.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It needs backlighting. I've been using the White ones lately because I've been too lazy to break out a couple of the Slide Pros I still have in boxes. They will be coming out soon though. But backlighting is the thing I've found I need most when setting up things.

And only just now I realized the keys were a different color on the White remote.

SalemCat likes this.
  8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wonder why they went with gray keys instead of just sticking with the black and white theme? I guess so the rest of the keys would match the TiVo button?

9. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Cause black wouldn't look good. Too much contrast.

10. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 Jedi Pirate Ninja

Mar 20, 2010
    The Mitten...
    I agree, glow buttons are the one thing that I see the Roamio and Bolt having stepped backwards on.

I'm not a fan of white anything that is regularly handled. Be it remotes, keyboards/mice, cell phones, white shows every bit of dirt that gets into every crack.

11. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    But then why do white cars show LESS dirt than black ones? ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  12. skypros

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    Well, Yesterday I made what I wanted..... A White face remote with "soft touch" back...... What I Call: Tivo FrankenRemote :D :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Mikeguy and SalemCat like this.
  13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Where you live dirt is white. :D

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Nicely done! That white remote with the black buttons looks so much better than with the gray buttons.

Whad'ja do, just switch the faceplates? So maybe it's a bonus that TiVo neglected to fully update the little TiVo dude to the new logo shape.

What's the stuff you used to create the "soft touch" back?

edit: p.s. Let us know once you've posted the "how to" video...! :)

15. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I wish! Tell that to ALL my cars, dogs, cats, kids, house etc! :eek: It's mostly a reddish brown where I live in the desert area of the island.

16. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    +1 on the nice work. The black with the gray buttons looks pretty good IMO. Still not a fan of the white - even though it possesses the official SKIP button :D

17. skypros

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I made a mistake and did not make a video of how I opened up the Roamio / Bolt remotes. But I took pictures of it apart which I think will really help others.

Take out the batteries.
    Get your thumbs fingernail in between the White top and the Black back at about the "skip back and the A button" and pry downward just enough to spread it slightly (The Top has the male tabs).
    Now get a credit card and beside your thumbnail press it in about 1/8' -1/4' and remove your thumbnail.
    now start slowly sliding the credit card around the remote..... Go downward to release the 1st tab that is between the "1 and A" button.
    You will hear the tab release... Now start to keep the top and bottom pieces apart (so the tabs do not click back in place).
    Now start sliding the credit card around the remote starting upwards to the top of the remote 1st.
    As you do this the tabs will start releasing as you go around the remote.

I got both remotes apart without damaging any of the plastic and nor did I break any plastic anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

SalemCat likes this.
  18. skypros

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    few more pics.
    I used Black Plasti-Dip spray..... and put 4 coats on it and NOTE that I did not spray the front of the remote, as this is where the LED's are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Yes, I like the Black Keys on White.

Even the Gray on Black is an improvement.

skypros likes this.
  20. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    The pics are nice, but did not really help me open it. The instructions, however, were dead on.

My remote stopped working after I dropped it and it popped open. I squeezed it shut again, but nothing happened. No lights came on.

So I got mine apart, and there sure is not much in there that could be repaired !

All I had to do was bend the Battery Springs a tiny bit, align them in their slots, pop it all back together and it works fine again.

kpeters59 likes this.