New: WD My Book AV DVR Expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by oViTynoT, Jun 24, 2010.

1. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX

Advertisements

WD Announced yesterday the new "WD My Book AV DVR Expander."

It has both eSATA and USB connectivity options.

$149 MSRP for a 1TB Unit.

TiVo certified.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=16

(Hope ya'll don't mind, but I crossposted to the Premiere forum as well.)

2. JimboG

JimboG Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    That's good news!

Sure, it would be nice to see something other than just a WD device listed as "Tivo Certified". Nonetheless, more and newer hardware should give Tivo owners more options.

As for me, I was pretty happy to drop a 1.5 TB WD drive into my Series 3 to replace the stock 250 GB drive. I bought mine locally for $110, but you can get the 1.5 TB WD drives online for around $90. Seems like a better option than paying list price for a $150 1 TB drive.;)

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But you only got about ~1.25TB actual storage, right?

4. S3-2501

S3-2501 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    According to this PDF file, the new expander has a 2-year warranty instead of the older version's 1-year. That's encouraging, but the same 3-year coverage offered on WD internal AV drives would have been even better for those familiar with the original's history of poor reliability.

5. jgantert

jgantert Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

Cool, 2 yr warranty. $121 @ amazon.

Still not listed on Tivo's site as being compatible, tho. I'm sure that's just an oversight. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/290/kw/external%20hd/r_id/100041

Amazon claims this drive uses "WD GreenPower Technology" so maybe it will last longer than a year in an enclosure.

6. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    GreenPower is an odd duck when talking about DVR drives. They'll NEVER spin down while the DVR is powered up, but the SPINDLE SPEED and ACTUATOR servos can be tuned by firmware to match the demand of the DVR...

I do have a 1TB WD Caviar Green GP in my Antec, I can't hear it at all, so I don't know if it spins faster or slower at times... :)

7. JimboG

JimboG Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    1.35TB actual storage space. It's a measly 100GB more than if I bought the 1 TB My Book, but I don't need to plug one more device into the wall. Pretty much six of one, half dozen of the other.

Glad to see that folks have another affordable option available from Tivo and WD. This plug and play approach for $121 seems like a pretty good deal for most.:up:

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Strange, Amazon says 127.60 is the list price..

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
  10. jgantert

jgantert Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Well, finally broke down and picked one of these up. Newegg had it on sale for $80 shipped. Not too bad. Hopefully it lasts longer than the 500Gb DVR Expander (Lasted 18 months for me). Tivo HD says 168 hrs of HD! :cool:

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Unless you already have a 2TB internal drive, it would have been cheaper to upgrade your internal drive. Not as easy, but cheaper and I think a better option.

12. jgantert

jgantert Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    I know, but I just didn't want to open it up. $80 was the cheapest I have seen the expander go for.

13. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    $80 for an external drive with both eSATA and USB is a decent price, but only if you have a real need for the eSATA capability (required for TiVo, of course). For just external storage, I recently picked up a couple of Hitachi 2TB external USB drives for $70 each.

I understand your desire to just do the expansion as simple as possible, but I also echo the comments that the internal drive upgrade is a much better choice. I have used external drives with both my S3 and THD boxes since they were new (only recently upgrading my THD to a single 2TB internal drive), and the only problems I have ever had were directly related to the eSATA drives. Oddly enough, the original WD 500GB expander on my THD for three years was the only setup that never gave me a single problem!

Here is my only suggestion for you - suspect the eSATA cable of any and all problems, and DO NOT MOVE either the the drive or the TiVo (since touching either will probably cause connection issues). If your wife has a penchant for dusting around the back of the TiVo, get rid of her! Even with the best suggested cables, expect problems. If you begin seeing spontaneous reboots, unplug everything, reseat both ends of the eSATA cable several times (to clean the contacts) and make sure the cable end is completely straight in the box and not being pushed aside even slightly by the stiff cable. Good luck.