New vs Used Series 2 For Hacking

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by The Flush, Jan 26, 2006.

1. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    What do you think makes the most sense for a second series 2 to hack? (I've already had one $100 rebate within the last 12 months, so I assume I can't get another rebate).

Should I go with a new SDVR80 from Value Electronics ($119 shipped), a used one from ebay (averaged shipped price around $60-70), or a refurb DSR7000 from Weaknees ($35 plus cost of remote)?

Warranty does not mean much since it will be voided when I hack it. Hard drive does not mean much since I'll add a larger one.

I think I am leaning towards a used one or a Weaknees refurb, but I am looking for other pros and cons.

Thanks.

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Go with any Series 2 unit, except the R10...

They will all work fine for "user-modification" purposes.

No major difference been New and Used

3. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Personally I would go with a used unit. If you are patient, you'll find a deal. Look for unaltered 40hr units as they are usually cheaper.

My problem with some of the refurb or barebones units is they have no remote, no access card and no hard drive.

4. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    I just ordered one of the free 40GB refurbed units from DTV. Shipping and tax totals $15.99.

I assume it is a series 2 since they are saying 40GB; I don't think there was ever a 40Gb R10, was there?

5. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Nope.

6. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Where/how did you get one of these??? (I'm wanting to try the same thing & would rather experiment on something cheap... :eek: )

7. Tivogre

Tivogre Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    There are like 5 threads on this topic (with the link to purchase) on this board right now!

SEARCH for "FREE DVR LINK"

8. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Sorry, I see 'em now... :eek:

9. huhwha

huhwha New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Yup - ordered mine last night. $14.99 shipping + tax. (Tax on shipping - mumble, mumble, mumble)

Had to order installation (free) as well. To be installed next Saturday.

10. Markman07

Markman07 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    Yes why do I need installation? Can I refuse it or say no thanks ..being I just am basically plugging it in?

11. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    I assume after you get the unit, you could just call and cancel the install appointment.

12. morgantown

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    I was thinking the same thing. The email indicates that the unit will be sent to the installer though. But I'll take a bigger multiswitch in the process :D /

I'm thinking about leaving it on the bill for the Olympics, then take it off and keep as a backup.

13. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    My email says the equipment will be sent to me, not an installer.

14. morgantown

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Re-read the email and it does say shipping to my address. I "thought" during the signup online it indicated the installer. The email DOES show shipping to home though.

I'll still take the bigger multiswitch with the install. The email does seem to imply as long as it is activavated within 30 days of purchase (my install is not until 2/7) you are in the clear. If you don't want the install just activte it yourself and don't answer the door :) !