New User's Unknown Territory

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by slinky789, Jan 10, 2006.

1. slinky789

slinky789 New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    I recently got a DirecTV Tivo system (the Samsung Series 2) to be specific. I would like to know how I can transfer files from my TiVo to my computer for burning. I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop with Sonic Record Now Plus software.

I am not married to this software and would be willing to buy something else if needed - but I don't want to spend money on something that isn't going to work. Call me innocent, but this doesn't seem that it should be so hard. I have a cable card slot in the box, so I was thinking that this might be as simple as transferring the shows to a cable card and then buying a cable card reader for the computer - but I'm not sure if that even exists. I'm really a massive beginner here. All lamens terms are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance - My son would really really love it if this is possible.

;)

2. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Not possible without hacking, I'm afraid. For details on that, you need to go to TiVo Underground.

Oh, and no, you DON'T have a cable card slot. You have a D* Access card slot. Cable card is a completely different animal.

3. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Ok, have you thought about just getting a stand alone (SA) DVD recorder? You can then use the "save to VCR" function (although it is not really required) to play a recorded show on your DTiVo (DirectTV Tivo) and burn to a DVD. You can also burn a live show to DVD if you happen to be home watching it at the time. All that is required is connecting the extra video/sound out on you DTiVo to the DVD recorder and select "record" on the DVD recorder.

Do note the DVD players will eventually have the "broadcast flag" embedded in them and will not permit copying of protected shows/movies. But "broadcast flag" is a whole different story (and could likely effect your PC the same way it could effect your a regular old DVD recorder). If all you are looking to do is burn a few shows, etc. a sub $100 stand alone DVD burner is certainly the easiest, simplest, and least complex manner to do so.

No need to hack, and a heck of a lot faster to do.

4. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The simplest way to get the video onto your computer is to buy a video capture device like a Dazzle (Not that this is necessarily the best video capture device, it is just a quick example. Blame their marketing department for making them memorable ;)) You connect the outputs of the DTiVo to the video capture which is connected to your computer and then you record the program onto the computer while the DTiVo plays it back.
    Once on the computer you could edit the video and then burn it to DVD.

The simplest way to get video from the DTiVo to DVD it to buy a standalone video DVD recorder. (The ones that act like a VCR only with a DVD-R disk rather than video tape).

5. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'll second the stand-alone DVD recorder suggestion. You can get one for less than $100. Burn onto RW discs then use a video editing program to pull them into your computer.

While capturing directly to the computer is more elegant, it's also a pain in the rear IMO. Most people don't have their computer near their Tivo.