New user. Where to install Pro and Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by email68, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Dec 9, 2014 #1 of 18
    email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014

Advertisements

I just ordered a Pro and three mini's. I'll be installing them in a living room, family room, office, and a bedroom. All rooms have a coax and wired network connections.

Does it matter where I install the Pro? Do the mini's operate the same as the main DVR as far as apps (Netflix and amazon), setting up programming, speed, etc?

I'd like to put the Pro in my office as it would be the closest to the router (less network hops) and generally easier to install. However, most of the tv watching will be from the kids in the living and family rooms.

Tim

2. Dec 9, 2014 #2 of 18
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I'd put the PRo in your main tv room as it is a better experience than the Minis.

Better remote with RF and the Pro is more responsive and you have access to all your tuners.

Network hops in the home should matter not. And I would send all the Tivo traffic over Moca. It's a free unused network in your home.

3. Dec 9, 2014 #3 of 18
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I would put the Roamio at the most used TV. Like the above post says, changing channels on the Roamio is a little faster than on the Minis and you have control of all the tuners at the Roamio.

4. Dec 9, 2014 #4 of 18
    NSPhillips

NSPhillips Member

May 31, 2007
    The original poster has wired network connections. Why use MoCA?

5. Dec 9, 2014 #5 of 18
    sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

You can also see video in the window while in (many) of the settings on the Pro. There is no video window with the Mini, which is one of my little pet peeves with the unit. DirecTV still allows video in the window of their Mini Genies, so I have to think there's a way that Tivo could enable it on its Minis.

6. Dec 9, 2014 #6 of 18
    DaveMN

DaveMN Curmudgeon, Skeptic

Nov 14, 2001
    Minnesota
    If you have a lot of devices on your ethernet network, using MoCA will allow you to off-load all the TiVo traffic from your network, thereby freeing-up capacity for your other devices.

7. Dec 9, 2014 #7 of 18
    email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    How is the MoCA wired?

I'm guessing, all the Mini's and the Pro wire to the coax that has the cable on it, and network with each other that way.

What do you do for the internet access via the LAN? Wire a single cat5 to the Pro?

8. Dec 9, 2014 #8 of 18
    DaveMN

Nov 14, 2001
    Minnesota
    Yes- Connect your main unit to your network via ethernet, then the minis will communicate with your main unit through the coax in your home.

9. Dec 9, 2014 #9 of 18
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Or conversely you can get a MoCA adapter to sit at your router to feed internet to the Pro and Minis through the coax if getting a wired ethernet connection to the Pro is difficult.

10. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the help!

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    This is not the default. You have to explicity set the Pro to act as a bridge.

12. mpaquette

mpaquette Member

Aug 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    I went the opposite route after recently moving into a new house. I wanted to keep the primary location downstairs as clean as possible. I ended up putting my Roamio upstairs in my media room and am using a mini downstairs in the primary location. I'm wired ethernet, no MoCA.

13. email68

email68 New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thats what I've decided to do as well. I'm in my office 99% of the time and I do a lot of mixed viewing, ie. live and recorded. The rest of the family mostly watch netflix and recorded shows, so I'm hoping they won't notice any issues with the mini's.

I'm switching from SageTV and have the set top boxes with HDMI and ethernet at those locations, so the mini swap will be easy.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Why not? From a user perspective there will not be any difference between the Ethernet connction or MoCA. Now if transfering content to a PC or another TiVo then using the GigE network connection on the Roamio has an advantage.

15. SrLANGuy

SrLANGuy Member

Dec 26, 2001
    If you decide to use MoCA, don't forget to purchase a MoCA POE (Point-Of-Entry) filter. Here's something I copied directly from TiVo's website:

How can I secure my MoCA network and improve its performance?

Poe Filter
    Because MoCA connects your home network to your coax cable, it is possible for the MoCA signal to carry your network signal out of your home. That means that if a close neighbor has a MoCA adapter of their own, it might be possible for them to connect to your home network. While this isn’t very likely, the way to avoid it completely is to install a Point-of-Entry (POE) filter where the coax cable enters your home. Installing a POE filter also prevents signal conflicts with other MoCA networks and improves your MoCA network’s performance. A POE filter is easy to install and can be found on TiVo store. Find out how to install your POE filter here: Instructions for installing a POE filter (PDF).

16. DaveMN

Nov 14, 2001
    Minnesota
    If you buy a POE filter, you might want to shop around a bit. If you order from TiVo, it'll cost you close to $20 after taxes and shipping. They wanted to charge me $8.95 to ship one, which is outrageous.

I bought this one on Amazon with free Prime shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DC8IEE6. If you look around you may even be able to find one for under ten bucks shipped.

17. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I don't use a POE filter. Not worried about neighbors and as long as my Minis work, my MOCA network gets an A+ from me.

Nice to know where I can get a much cheaper one though.

18. DaveMN

Nov 14, 2001
    Minnesota
    A POE filter can also help the performance of your MoCA network by reflecting the signal back into your home instead of sending it outside.

http://mocablog.net/faq/