New User - What's with all the ads?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by itsdavetime, Aug 11, 2011.

1. itsdavetime

itsdavetime New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Just got my Tivo and am noticing ads everywhere. For example, when I pause a show, I get an ad with a gold star or something.

What's the deal? I paid > $100 for my unit, and $20/month for service. When I called Tivo, they said they were ad supported. How can that be? If they want to show ads, then they should lower the subscription cost or do away with it entirely.

Any way I get unsubscribe from these ads?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The benefits they receive from the ads are already baked into the costs. They are not new, and so without them the price would logically go up. Over time you will end up ignoring them. Try search for some techniques some use to reduce their frequency.

3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    If it was no ads your sub could higher then $30.00 a month. The ads are helping to the sub costs down.

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Seriously, I don't even notice the ads. Who cares what is on the screen when you hit pause? Unless you select the ad, you can just ignore it. Sort of like the one that's on the bottom of one of the main screens. Just ignore it. It doesn't force you to view anything (unlike some of the PITA stuff on Blu-ray discs that you can't skip or fast forward through).

5. itsdavetime

itsdavetime New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Not a big deal to ignore them, just annoying is all. I look at it this way, for software, if you go with a free version, then it's normally ad supported. If you decide to pay for the software, the ads go away.

I'm sure Tivo makes plenty of money on the ads, our subscriptions, the hardware sales, and I'm sure they also make money on the statistics that they sell to Nielsen, etc.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Ever look at a magazine or a newspaper? They have tons of ads but you still pay for them. Well, somebody has to pay for them.

Some cable channels get revenue from both the cable operators and ads. The most annoying one to me is AMC, which used to be ad free.

It is much easier to ignore the TiVo provided ads. And the TiVo makes it easier to get past the TV ads.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I pay for lots of things and still see ads. Shall I count the ways?

If you have a premiere, you can have some influence on what shows up on the banner bar on the NPL. Just try searching - this topic has been beaten down many many times.

An interesting tidbit I have not seen before is the $30/month figure, that is real money avoided.

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That depends on what you mean. Ads are a way for a company to force the consumer to pay whatever the company wants without giving the consumer the power to avoid those costs by not buying the product. You pay for those ads, even if you don't have a TiVo. Depending on your spending habits, you also pay $500 - $2000 a month or more for the right to watch Survivor. Great deal, huh?

I would much rather pay higher subscription fees. First of all, the higher sub fees would probably be less than the ad fees I am paying, when averaged out over all such subscriptions. Secondly, it's more ethical. Thirdly, and most importantly, if I don't like the product, the manufacturer gets zilch. Such feedback is the cornerstone to a free market. Advertising forces the consumer to continue to pay for the product, no matter how crappy it is.

9. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Any way I can unsubscribe from the ads on network television? There should be.

10. cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    just push down arrow on pause to hide those ads, others I dont even notice...

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yeah. Don't watch.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yes, but the costs to me as a consumer would go down $50 or more. I'll take the $30, any day. (Actually, it's considerably less than $30. TiVo could sell their units at a profit for about $600.)

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Nope. I still have to pay for them. 'More than 10 times what I pay for CATV service. (And I don't watch network television.) I care a lot less about seeing them than I do paying for them.

14. itsdavetime

itsdavetime New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    That's different. You are all comparing apples to oranges. The ads on network television can be skipped. Also, you're getting those ads because network television is "free". When I watch HBO or another premium channel which I pay for, there are no ads, because I've paid to watch that channel. Magazines, newspapers, etc. all have tons of ads lately because print circulation is down and continues to decline. Magazines/newspapers can no longer continue in business solely by subscriptions, so they have increased the number of ads in order to have continued revenue.

Tivo, on the other hand, is a service which I decide to pay for. Not only is there a monthly subscription but also a hardware purchase. So, for the first year a premier will cost $99 and $240 in service. For ~$340 in a year, you're telling me you're happy receiving ads?

And what exactly does the $19.99/month give you? The ability to watch and record TV and guide listing. Everything else is on top of the $19.99. Netflix, Hulu, etc. has to be subscribed in addition.

Personally, I think the $19.99 is a bit steep, but that's my opinion.

15. keirgrey

keirgrey Old Man Vicious

Nov 20, 2001
    Philly
    Um, don't you pay for things like TBS and TNT, etc? They have ads. So, it's not really "apples and oranges"

16. itsdavetime

itsdavetime New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Well, if you want to get technical, yes, I pay for all of my channels since I have to pay for my cable service. But, we all are with the understanding that when you pay for a premium channel, there are no commercials. That's where I was going with that. :)

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    there are always a bunch of commercials advertsing other programs on the channel. HBO, Starz, showtime, they all have them instead of running the next movie/program right after the previous one.

18. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    @itsdavetime, I see your point and agree. I also accept the argument that without the ads, the service would have to be more expensive.

So what I'd like to see is TiVo offer a "premium" service that is ad-free. And I wonder just how much would I really be willing to pay for that above the ad-supported service?

I'm guessing not all that much, which may be what TiVo marketing came up with and explains why there isn't a an ad-free service.

On the other hand, they do know that high up front cost is a barrier to entry for many. So to limit that, they are almost giving away the hardware, selling service agreements on an open-ended installment plan (making a large up-front "lifetime" service agreement seem attractive in comparison), and enhancing income with ads.

It would be interesting to know what the actual price differential would be.

19. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I make a distinction between HBO giving me a taste of what is available on HBO and yet another idiot man-child too dumb to live trying to make me think I should drink his beer of choice so the Swedish bikini team will find me irresistible.

Not all advertising is created equal. :)

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It's not quite unsubscribing, but that's what the 30 second skip button is for.