New user stuck in setup using digital antenna

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ikela, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Ikela

Ikela New Member

Nov 24, 2018

Advertisements

I am new tivo user trying to setup my Roamio Plus. I have no cable provider but am using digital antenna. I am connected to the internet with ethernet from tivo box to router. It is attempting to locate cable provider and is unable to and I am stuck in setup and cant continue. I tried to activate online but it says its already activated. I have not purchased a plan yet because the office is closed. Can I continue with setup and is there way to purchase plan when the customer support is closed?
    Thanks to all you experienced users who are willing to help.

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    A Roamio Plus only works with cable tv, does not work with an antenna. You need a Roamio OTA or a Bolt model to work with an antenna. Sorry.

3. Ikela

Ikela New Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Thank you, are you saying I cant complete setup without cable tv? theres no way to get to tivo central and use hulu?

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There are Tivo models that are digital cable only, Premiere 4, 4XL, Roamio Plus and Pro, Bolt+.

There is a Roamio OTA which is meant for Antenna only, but few have used it for cable, after adding the missing cablecard bracket.

If you have the Roamio basic model (4 tuner) then that will work for either OTA or cable. The OTA model Roamio is a 4 tuner also.

5. Ikela

Ikela New Member

Nov 24, 2018

Advertisements

i have the Roamio Plus model

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can't use an antenna with that one, not designed for it.

This is what happens when you do not do research.

unclehonkey and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  7. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It is true the Plus is a cable only Tivo. BUT, if you are only going to be using it for Hulu you could probably set it up for cable (even though you won't be using cable), then you could access Hulu? Not sure if you will get errors for not having a cable card installed (though you could put a non activated card in). But you'd be paying a lot of money for Tivo service just to use Hulu?...............................

If it was a lifetime Tivo then you'd probably be able to do it. But to just use Hulu I'd say there are much better (cheaper) ways.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You should have been able to skip CableCARD setup, but I’ve never tried doing Guided Setup without the cable connected. I didn’t think it did any actual checks, so I’m wondering if you opted to try the CableCARD setup.

If you’re not going to be doing cable TV, you really just need to return or resell the Roamio Plus. It can’t do OTA and paying the TiVo service fee just for access to Hulu or other streaming apps would be insane ... both because 2 months of that service fee would cover the cost of a Roku Express, and because the app versions on the TiVo platform lag those available on Rokus and other streaming boxes. (e.g. TiVos cannot currently access Hulu Live TV, or access Hulu user profiles.)

JoeKustra likes this.
  9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    During GS, you can specify "Install later" for the cable card. But selling and getting a Roku type device would be my choice. Amazon's Recast seems to be the OTA hot item right now.

Not that it helps, but the Roamio Plus can not be bought new.

10. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Start over and choose skip cable card set up. This will make setting up the card, when you get one easier.

If you plan on antenna only, return the Pro and go to Weaknees, they have all in OTA(for antenna use only) Roamio's for $339

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And, @Ikela, at TiVo right now, as part of its Winterfest sale through/ending today at TiVo.com, a refurb Roamio OTA 1TB at $299.99 (Lifetime subscription included). :) (I have had good luck with refurbs from TiVo, as I think many have had--my refurb Roamio OTA seemed and looked to be brand new.)

12. kevreh

kevreh Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    I also have a Roamio Plus. Can you use a diplexer to combine the antenna signal and the cable tv signal (in my case Verizon FIOS) into one coax cable? Will the Tivo not even recongnize the OTA channels and merge them with my FIOS channels?

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The TiVo will not see the signals, and even if it did, there is no option for "Cable & Antenna" in Setup, so no guide data for the OTA.

Keep watching. There may be another sale next week. Current sale is a trade-in/up (not so good) sale.

krkaufman and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The 6-tuner Roamio Plus and Pro models (and 6-tuner BOLT models) do NOT support OTA antenna tuning; they are CableCARD-only devices.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Friends & Family 2018 sale is still ongoing, right?

tivo.com/friendsandfamily2018

$250 for Roamio OTA
    $400 for BOLT OTA

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  16. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Yes, but only if you possess an unused promo code.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I’ve read that a call to TiVo can sub for a promo code. (Though I assume one would need to be a current TiVo owner, not a new customer.)