New user questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by saulysam@comcast, Jan 9, 2006.

1. saulysam@comcast

saulysam@comcast New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Greetings. I have a couple of questions, and I was hoping you more experienced TiVo types could help me out.

1. Do I need to keep my Comcast Cable box powered on in order for a Season pass recording? I don't think so, but how does it access the channel if my cable box power is off?

2. What happens if I am watching Live TV and it is time for a timed TiVo recording on another channel? Will I be asked to change channels? Will it override my live TV without asking? or offer an option?

3. What happens if I begin recording a show, and I turn my cable box power off during a recording?

Thanks!

Saul

P.S. I am amazed at how easy it was to connect to my wireless network and to play music from my computer through my TiVo/Stereo. Very cool feature!!

:confused:

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    1) Yes, your cable box needs to remain on in order to record any scheduled recording, not jus SPs. It can't.
    2) Your TiVo will ask if you want it to change channels for the recording or if you want to continue watching what you are currently watching and cancel the scheduled recording. If you do not respond, it will assume you are not actually watching TV and change channels for the scheduled recording.
    3) The recording will end abruptly at the point where you turned off the cable box.

3. saulysam@comcast

saulysam@comcast New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks, what surprises me is that the manual doesn't spell out that the cable box power must be on. For, many of us turn the power off to our cable boxes as a routine. Silly me.

4. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Why?