New User - Favorite channels won't register

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fis, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fis

fis Member

Feb 7, 2017
    New Tivo user here, just set up a new Bolt and Mini today.

Among the first things I want to do is set up favorite channels (as I had done with the cable company set top box) so that my guide is much less cluttered.

I went to the trouble of scrolling through every channel and hitting the "thumbs up" button for the channels I want to see.

BUT when I click the GUIDE button, then (A), then select CHANNELS:FAVORITES, then (A) again, I see the following message:

"You have not selected any favorite channels.
    To set up favorite channels, go to TiVo Central and select
    Settings & Messages>Settings>Channels>Channel List

tivo 1.jpg

HOWEVER, when I go to TiVo Central and select Settings & Messages, there is NO option called "Channels."
    Tivo 2.jpg

HELP!!! Not a good first hour with TiVo.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This is not the first time an entire option has gone missing. I would suggest placing the unit into standby, then pull the plug for 30 seconds.

I am assuming you are posting about the Bolt, not the Mini. The Mini doesn't have a Settings|Channels. However, those Favorites may not register on the Mini quickly. Power cycle the Mini too.

Welcome to TiVo quirks. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    And while the Mini is in Standby (the posted screenshots appear to have come from your Mini, right?) ... go over to the BOLT and set up your 'My Channels' and 'Favorites' channel lists, there... 'cause that's the only bloody place TiVo lets you actually edit the channel lists... on the DVR, itself. :eek:

All you can do on a Mini is alter whether the guide is displaying 'All,' 'My Channels,' or 'Favorites' ... and even that may not be doable owing to what I consider a bug: the Mini is constrained by the guide setting on its host DVR. If the host DVR is set to display 'Favorites,' the Minis will all be restricted to 'Favorites.' If you want the Minis to be able to toggle between 'Favorites' and 'My Channels,' you'll need to make sure their host DVR is set to display either 'All' or 'My Channels.'

fis likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    See >this post< for some additional info re: channel lists -- though it does need to be updated, I believe, to reflect the relocated 'Channel List' option location in the latest incarnation of the BOLT UI.

See also:

5. fis

fis Member

Feb 7, 2017
    That was it. Many thanks.

krkaufman likes this.