New TV = new TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by SallyC, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Oct 9, 2017 #1 of 12
    SallyC

SallyC Member

Jan 1, 2015
    A few years ago we bought a Roamio Plus and three Minis, all with Lifetime service. Our main TV has gone on the fritz and we're thinking of replacing it with a 4K. My understanding is the Roamio won't support 4K so (since we mostly watch DVR'd shows) either we shouldn't bother getting a 4K TV or we need to get a Bolt.

So I have a few questions.
    1) In your opinion, is 4K worth it?
    2) Do I need to get a Bolt then?
    3) Will my old Minis work with a Bolt? Not support 4k (the TVs don't support that) but would the Minis even connect and work with a Bolt.

I'm with Charter (aka Spectrum) in Michigan if that makes a difference. We had to get some cable card for the TiVo when we got it. Not sure if we can reuse that either. I'm getting older and wish things would just last forever so I didn't have to change things, lol!

Thanks for any help or advice.

2. Oct 9, 2017 #2 of 12
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Unless you are going to watch the two apps with 4k support, it will not matter much either way. OTA and cableco does not provide 4k programming.

SallyC likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2017 #3 of 12
    SallyC

SallyC Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Ah, I didn't know that. That would mean we could just replace the TV. Thank you for the info.

4. Oct 9, 2017 #4 of 12
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    4K support is 100% pointless IMHO. That said, it really makes no difference, since it is being built into most new big screen TVs anyway (and it generally won't cost you anything). I recently needed to replace my big screen, and I had zero interest in anything 4K, but that is what I ended up with anyway!

JoeKustra and SallyC like this.
  5. Oct 9, 2017 #5 of 12
    anthem11

anthem11 New Member

May 15, 2012
    SallyC likes this.
  6. Oct 9, 2017 #6 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd hold off on worrying about a standalone streamer for 4K until you see what apps your TV offers. It's likely the TV provides superior 4K support (e.g. VUDU 4K+HDR compatible devices), at present, allowing you to upgrade to a streamer at a future date as your TV's technology falls behind. Of course, even a 4K TV would be overkill if you aren't subscribed to any 4K streaming content.

kpeters59, tim1724 and SallyC like this.
  7. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    SallyC likes this.
  8. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    You'll need some sources to backup such an outrageous claim. A quick glance shows Roku being far from in trouble. Selling the boxes is done with only a slim margin - $38.6 million profit (13.2% gross margin). But the platform is very strong - gross profit of $108.6 million (75.4% gross margin).

SallyC likes this.
  9. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    SallyC likes this.
  10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That all depends on if the OP has any desire to start buying 4K UHD BD discs, if not then it's a waste of time and energy, their existing BD player is fine and the set will scale up as needed, and as others have said the TV may very well have plenty of 4K apps eliminating the need for a streaming box if all the OPs apps are on the TV.

SallyC likes this.
  11. SallyC

SallyC Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Thanks for all your insights! It's very informative but now, actually, I find myself wondering if it's my TV that's the problem.

This all started because the big TV would suddenly go pixilate and then go blank for up to 10 minutes at a time. I could watch things recorded on the TiVo so I thought maybe the receiver on the TV was going bad. But then, after my original post, I had one of the TVs connected to a mini do the same thing! I ran to the big TV and it worked fine. Unfortunately I didn't think to see if I could go to the same channel the mini TV was on, I just checked the shows on the remaining 5 tuners.

So now I'm wondering if 1) it's the cable company/channel 2) it's a particular tuner on the TiVo. I'm not sure of the best way to troubleshoot it but my thought is the next time it does this, if it's on the big TV where I can switch to another tuner, do that and then try to go to the channel that just went blank to see if I can get it on another tuner.

Any other ideas would be appreciated - I'm not particularly good at being an electronics detective.

And thanks again for your posts. If I do end up having to replace the big TV, at least now I know what to do. I don't really need any apps beyond what's on the TiVo (Netflix, Amazon) so I'd probably just upgrade the TiVo and not worry about 4K. Interesting info about the Roku though, as I have a friend who's always raving about it.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...