New trick-play bug in 9.1

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jhimmel, Oct 5, 2007.

1. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Okay, here is an annoying little bug that came with 9.1.

Start a watching a previously recorded show. Switch to slow motion, let it go for a few seconds, then pause the screen. Now try to step through frame by frame with the FF button - SOMETIMES it just wont work (it gets stuck on the paused frame).

It does NOT happen EVERY time. Sometimes it advances frame by frame like normal, but sometimes it just gets "stuck" and refuses to advance. I have not tested enough to see if it only happens on HD programs, or any other common condition that causes it, but it didn't take too long to be able to reproduce the issue on both of my S3's that have now received the update.

Try it out. Test a few different recorded shows, and vary how long you leave it in slow motion before pausing. Odds are, you will be able to reproduce this bug. Actually, I'm not sure now, but I think I also did it with a live show.

Jim H.

2. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    While waiting for the issue to get fixed, you can "unstick" it by backing up several frames, probably beyond the point where you paused, and then going frame-forward again.

I don't need to use slow motion to get this issue, just pause.

3. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    +1 Exact same behavior, Series3 with 9.1

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Yep, I get the same thing. I noticed it while trying to check a "play under review" in a football game, several times. As noted by others, it does become unstuck by going back a few frames, then forward.

5. jeffshome

jeffshome Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I have the same problem with 9.1: press slow motion; then pause; now try viewing frame by frame with FF -- it just sits there.

Doesn't anyone test this stuff?

6. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Or press slo mo again to release it. But, yes, it is reproducible.

7. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Not fixed in 9.2j

Jim H.