New TPO roofover blocking indoor antenna signal?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by TivoJD, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Aug 9, 2017 #1 of 12
    TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    I've had a Roamio OTA for over a year with an indoor Mohu Leaf antenna taped to the wall and it's worked beautifully. Yesterday I had a new roof put on the house (it's a roof-over that is a membrane that goes right over the old roof and there is a layer of Styrofoam with a foil like layer on both sides under the membrane) and now I get no signal at all for any channels. Has anyone else run into this?

2. Aug 9, 2017 #2 of 12
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    No but I think it's fair to say it's more than a coincidence. Have you tried relocating the antenna to see if you get a signal, maybe near a window?

3. Aug 9, 2017 #3 of 12
    TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    I did, but the direction where the signal comes from is the side of the house that has no windows except in the dining room and kitchen and even those are not really external windows, they are covered by a metal carport, so I get nothing. Guessing if I want to have OTA, I am going to need an outdoor antenna now.

4. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    If that foil is as you describe, maybe metallized mylar or actual metal foil, that would basically be a huge shield that blocks your antenna....

JBDragon likes this.
  5. Nickipedia

Nickipedia Nick of Time

Jul 18, 2015
    Michigan/D.C.
    This will definitely block or severely diminish your reception. This type of insulation is called PIR (Polyisocyanurate), it has a sheet of aluminum thermoset to the surface. It's popular in roofing with corrugated steel, as well as under vinyl siding. My house is covered with this stuff. An outdoor antenna is your best bet. :)

JBDragon likes this.
  6. dwatt

dwatt Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Will it also affect cell phone signal strength inside the house the same way?

7. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    Cell phone signal seems fine.

8. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You could try an amplified indoor antenna to see if that works though it seems a long shot.

9. Nickipedia

Nickipedia Nick of Time

Jul 18, 2015
    Michigan/D.C.
    It can. In my house I get about 2 bars LTE, outside I get 5. Line of sight to the tower is about 600 yards away. Though there are a lot of other factors that contribute as well, this can certainly dampen them. It's like having the house wrapped in aluminum foil. It's great for energy efficiency, just not for radio waves. Houses here covered in cultured stone have the similar issue due to all the wire lath, it has a faraday cage like effect. Off course that could just be Dow Chemical...

10. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    You are living in a Faraday Cage now.
    If you don't have line of sight from a window to the transmission tower, you are going to need an out door antenna.

JBDragon likes this.
  11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    FWIW, spraying thermal barrier paint on the inside of my attic decking didn't do my TV or LTE signals any good either. Aluminum makes s pretty good RF shield even when it's just microscopic particles.

12. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If it attenuates TV signals, it WILL attenuate cell phone signals. In the OP's case, there is probably plenty of margin on the cell phone side so it's not noticeable, but the actual signal strengths will be lower.