New to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MassMan, Mar 19, 2019.

1. MassMan

MassMan Member

Mar 19, 2019

Advertisements

I may be late to the party but 2 months ago I found a Tivo Premiere at our local Goodwill. I got it for $9.99. Took it home logged into Tivo, and after a couple calls and sending my receipt to them I got the existing lifetime transferred over to me.

I use both a CC and OTA.

Thanks for the forum I'm about to upgrade the drive from 500 to 1TB. I don't record much.

I found another Tivo at the Goodwill it's a Roamio Pro but unfortunately has no service.

I enjoy the ability to do OTA and Cable on my Premiere and how it combines the guide.

Does the Roamio Pro offer me anything I don't have? If not I will just donate it back to Goodwill.

I'd love some input. Thank you...and thanks again for this forum. My wife and I really like the Tivo, and how the guide looks.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Welcome.
    The Pro is cable only. Other opinions are subjective.
    You will get more feedback soon.

3. MassMan

MassMan Member

Mar 19, 2019
    I knew that I was just wondering if I forget about OTA on the Tivo (I can put the antenna on my tv) and go with the Roamio Pro put the CC there, will I get more apps to stream?

This also came to me...

Is there anyway to use another Tivo device that does OTA and perhaps combine the guide on that with the Roamio (using a cc)? I could put the Roamio in the basement as I'm fully wired everywhere.

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You can stream or transfer recordings from one TiVo to another over your home network. So you can have the Roamio attached to your cable and the Premiere to an OTA antenna and then stream or transfer recordings between them. The Roamio Pro has 6 tuners and the Premiere that does OTA has 2 tuners, so you'd have a total of 8 tuners available for up to 8 recordings at once. You can also use Minis with the Roamio, but they aren't compatible with the 2-tuner Premiere.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008

Advertisements

You could activate the Roamio Pro on your account at the monthly rate to see how you like it and cancel before the first 30 days for a full refund. You could record many shows in 30 days from cable with 6 tuners. You would still be able to watch the recorded shows even if the subscription was canceled. You may want to check to see what shows are on it now.

When you try to cancel, Tivo may offer you a reduced rate for lifetime service. $199 or $99. Try to negotiate the $99 rate. If you don't get the lifetime service you might be able to sell the Roamio Pro on eBay for $100.

You can stream shows from the Roamio Pro to the premiere and vice versa to watch them.

The Roamio Pro has built-in mobile device streaming and you could have 4 concurrent streams going at one time to mobile devices. The Roamio Pro would also allow you to stream to and from the premiere with mobile devices.

You could just use the cable card in the Rroamio Pro and set the premiere for OTA only. Then you would have 8 tuners, maybe more than you need.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Roamio is probably 10x faster than a Premiere. I never did a timing test. I think the apps are the same on all current TiVo boxes except the Premiere doesn't support TE4. If you start using the Pro you will not want to go back to using the Premiere as your primary device despite the guide. As for the guide, here's a lesson for free:

A while back Rovi bought TiVo. The TiVo name is still used. There are three main guide suppliers. Most accurate (99%) is found at zap2it.com and uses Gracenote. Next is titantv.com and does its own thing. Next is tvguide.com and it's powered by CBS Interactive. I'd say 90% accurate. Bottom of the quality list is tv.com which uses data supplied by TiVo. The guide, as you will learn, can be messed up. I consider it an 8-day guide for 90% accuracy. More:

Your TiVo gets its guide from the internet. It does not care about what your TV may or may not find. Corrections to the lineup or data are done by TiVo: Report a Lineup Issue which you may need. Please add your location. Just click on your name up top to modify your profile.

My signature has a link to some abbreviations. The above post has a great idea: get a month of service, rent the cable card (that's a new story), and see what you think.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. MassMan

MassMan Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Thank you everyone for the replies. I might test out the Pro. I'm curious about the new UI and performance increase.

I'll have Comcast pair the current cc with the Pro.

Thanks again

8. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I would not depend on Comcast for anything. If you can get the cc, installing is pretty basic. And I noticed you said you do not record much so you can save yourself a lot of aggravation if you do not really need 8 tuners. I have a 1 tb roamio that is never more than 45% full and I currently have around 20 different shows recorded and half have 5 to 10 episodes each. So give the 500 gig a shot before changing the hd.

9. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If the Premiere has enough tuners and storage for your needs, it's fine. The performance difference is noticeable, but not a must-have. I had a Premiere XL4 and now I have a Roamio OTA. I switched to cut the cord but otherwise, the Premiere was just as good as the Roamio. The apps are crap on TiVo anyway, just get a Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc for those.

10. iReyes

iReyes New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    How does one do this? I have my Roamio w/ lifetime and also have a 4 tuner Bolt. I was going to attach an antenna to one of them and would like to watch recorded shows from one on the other. But I can figure out how to do that. I must be missing something in the menu?

UPDATE: Lol. I figured it out! Of course I’d spend an hour on this before asking for help and then immediately figure it out. It’s like losing your keys. Haha.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    tampa8 and Bigg like this.
  11. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Welcome!

Bigg likes this.
  12. MassMan

MassMan Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Thank you.

Just an update. I bough a monthly for the Roamio, Installed Hydra just to see what it looked like. To me the fonts etc look crisp with a nice resolution-but I got so used to the "Live" Guide on the Premiere that I would miss it.

After a day playing with the Roamio it looks like I will stay with the Premiere, since the Roamio doesn't really offer much more. I a day or two I'll cancel the monthly subscription and sell the Roamio.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Bigg likes this.
  13. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Good choice! The Premiere is still a very solid platform to be a straight-up DVR, and there are many cheap streaming devices out there to handle streaming services.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    For anyone else not familiar, see:

Though, to be honest, the instructions should provide more detail ... in that you have to navigate the My Shows listing to find the remote, networked DVR's icon, and the navigation process differs between TiVo UI versions.

TE4: Slide over to the 'DEVICES' My Shows tab/category.
    TE3: Navigate to the 'Devices' My Shows category, or to the bottom of the All Shows list.
    ... and then select the desired remote DVR.