New to Tivo!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by techgold, Jan 22, 2006.

1. techgold

techgold New Member

Jan 22, 2006

Advertisements

I'm thinking about getting a standalone Tivo series 2 Humax 80 hrs with the DVD burner.

Here is my equipment:

1) Dish networks 301 receiver
    2) Sony Wega 27 inch trinitron TV

The questions are:

a) How much is the picture quality going to be affected by hooking up the Tivo box to this simple system?
    b) Do i have to use the Best quality mode (of tivo) to get reasonable results recording? If i do use this mode, what is drop in available recording hours?
    c) I plan to record no more than 10 to 12 hours weekly. Is the 80 hour Tivo box enough? Should i be able to use the Standard recording quality and still be able to get good picture quality? I'm not extremely picky about the picture quality, it doesn't have to be super but i'm hoping that it can come close to what i have now with the Dish receiver?!!!
    d) Dos anyone know if the IR blasters are included with the TIvo or d i have to buy that separately?

Thanks in Advance for you answers and opinions,

Techgold

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I assume you are not watching any HD (High Definition from the general feel of your post.
    I have a 32 inch Toshiba TV and record SD (Standard Definition) on High quality setting for most things and I do see a difference if I get up close and look but for my TV viewing it works great.
    the qualities (and files sizes) go up from Basic - medium - high -Best
    at Bacis you get the 80 hours - at high I think it is 30 hours, but that is from memory. not near my TiVo right now. The quality setting screen on the tiVo will list the approximate hours.
    I do not see much difference between high setting and Best setting - either one will get you 10-12 hours a week easily though. On a 27 inch TV you should have no problem with the quality and are right to consider the TV model in this. A 50 inch High Definition TV would be a different story.
    the IR cables and a serial cable come with the TiVo - you will not need to buy anything. Post the model of your Dish receiver and others can post on whether the serial cable will work instead of the IR blaster to chnage channels

3. techgold

techgold New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Thanks ZeoTivo,

Yes, you're right, i'm not watching HD.

I've looked at the back of my Dish Network 301 receiver and it has no serial connector. So i have to use the IR Blaster.

The main reason for my previous questions was that i wanted to know if it is at all worthed to go ahead and plunk some money down for a Tivo since i believe that this box was originally designed to work with cable TV. Since i have never seen one system in operation before with "satellite" TV i wanted to know from those of you who have such a system if it is worth to have it (Tivo) or not!

techgold

4. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I've been using a TiVo with Dish network for nearly 6 years now. I get an IR misread (and the wrong channel recorded) about once every 12-18 months. Other than that, it's been perfect. Series 1 and 2 Tivos are not tied to cable in any way. All of my TiVo-owning friends use Dish or DirecTV.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...

Advertisements

I currently have a 32" Panasonic TV that I picked up in 1994 (later this year it will be replaced by HDTV - probably a Toshiba 72HM195) and I also have a TiVo DVD-RW. I use 'High', the second highest setting. That also gives you 2 hours on a DVD to save things, while 'Best' is 1 hour on a DVD. With the 80GB drive you get about 93 hours Basic, 62 Medium, 30 High, and 16 Best.