New to TiVo.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by parent723, Dec 26, 2005.

1. parent723

parent723 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Glad I found this forum, looks like a great site. I got the Series 2 140hr TiVo for Christmas.

I have a few questions before I start setting it up. I have Satellite AND Cable. Can I use two different inputs with one TiVo box? I DO NOT have a cable box, just using TV/VCR for a tuner. Also, should I keep this box or get a smaller one and "UPGRADE IT"?

One more question, would I be better off returning the TiVo back to Costco and take the money to purchase Dish or DirectTV package and take their "free" DVR?

Thanks for your help, I look forward to seeing you on the forum and...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

2. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California
    How Do I Set up My DVR with Both a Satellite Receiver and an RF Program Source (Antenna or Cable)?

Depends on how comfortable you are with voiding the warranty by opening the unit and all the other steps involved with an upgrading vs. how much you'll save by doing so.

If you get a Dish or DirecTV DVR you won't be able to record from cable (or antenna). On the other hand, they have dual tuner support so you can record two things at the same time or record one channel while watching another.

There are a lot of other factors, but it's a little hard to narrow it down without knowing what you would consider "better off." In other words, what features or benefits are most important to you.

3. paulyras

paulyras New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Another factor to consider is that things like TiVo to go aren't possible on DTivos, nevermind the other DVRs. I bought my Tivo specifically for the basics, but I find that I spend most of my recorded show watching on my laptop while I'm travelling for work. As mentioned by NoCleverUsername, depending on what you're looking for (two tuners would be nice) it may still make more sense to get the DTV DVR, but I gotta say, I'm an addict now to all of the little things... HME apps, Tivo To Go, the ability to access your shows over the internet from anywhere (requires a little creativity, but easily doable).

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Paul

4. jaybird28

jaybird28 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Santa brought me a Humax DVD w/Tivo Servise and I have a couple questions. I don't have a phone outlet in my living room but I can stretch a phone cord from the other room for set-up. I was told that I don't need the phone hook-up after the initial set-up. IS THIS TRUE?

Also not knowing much about TiVo, will it affect my new Plasma regarding getting the HDTV Channels that I get from Comcast Digital? I love those HD channels. Will I be able to record them and will the be Digital quality recordings??

5. NoCleverUsername

NoCleverUsername New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    California
    If you have a broadband internet connection, you can get a USB network adapter (wired or wireless) for your TiVo. Otherwise you'll still need a phone line. The TiVo still needs to get its guide data and other updates from somewhere. :)

Details on network compatible network adapters here: Which Network Adapters Work with My Series2 DVR?

You won't be able to record HD, but there's no reason why you couldn't watch HD channels directly if you hook things up right.

6. parent723

parent723 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Head spinning! :eek:

I didn't realize there were that many issues to decide on. I guess I had better make a table of pros and cons (and understand what they all mean!) to decide. I have BASIC cable and a very limited satellite plan. I get the local channels only (ABC CBS NBC FOX). I don't know if it's worth keeping if that's all I have to choose from. I would like the ability though to connect to my network and burn copies of recorded programs though. Knowing this, should I lean one way or the other?

Thanks for all your help!

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You can always burn DVDs using an analog capture, either to a PC or a standalone DVD recorder. You don't need a network to do this and the quality is quite good when you use the highest quality settings. Just one more thing item for your PROS/CONS chart.

8. parent723

parent723 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Jim,

Thanks for the response. How do you "capture" the file (or program) off of the TiVo without connecting it to a network? Are there any extra services/hardware you must purchase?

Thanks.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You use the normal s-video or composite outputs of the TiVo and connect to same inputs on a DVD recorder or a video capture card on a PC. You just play the program as you would to watch it. Of course, you can't watch anything else while you are doing this, but it can record a show. This isn't any different than if you were using the Save To VCR function.

10. parent723

parent723 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    After reviewing the options it sems that I should return the Series 2 TiVo to Costco and get the Dish Network package including a DVR. The only benefit I see to the TiVo is the 140hr recording time.

The benefit of Dish Network are: Dual Tuners, one box instead of two (TiVo and Satellite), you can watch one program and record the other, multi room replay. BTW, can you rip a program off the DVR with this option and burn it on a DVD?

Maybe I am making this too simple so set me straight! :)

11. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Unfortunately, it's not a simple decision. Lots of factors.

I chose to say with the Standalone option as I truly enjoy the TiVo2Go and other HMO features not available on D*. Other factors contributed to this decision, but this was a prime driver for me.

I got a second TiVo for cheap during one of the promotions. Both my TiVo's are connected to the same TV. This acts as my second tuner. While they do not act cooperatively as in D*, they provide all the conflict insurance I need.

Good luck with your decision. :)

And welcome to the forum!