New to Tivo world, need orientation

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by litleboy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. litleboy

litleboy New Member

Nov 10, 2009

Advertisements

I just bought a Tivo series 2 on a yard sale for $1 . I plugged to my cable and found out that I need to pay etc etc..

So I went to the INTERNET and found too much information on hacking tivos to make it some kind of a media player... but there is too much old information and I don't know which directions to follow.

I need some orientation. I have PC knowledge, I build my own PCs, so I now I can do the job, but I'm confuse, what are the patch that I need to install, do I need to have network? which are the latest softwares and what can I do with them.

Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is Tivo customer service 877-367-8486 6am - 9pm PT daily.

You would need a Tivo Subscription for the Tivo to operate, if you want network, either a Tivo wireless network adapter or a rj-45 usb network adapter.

3. litleboy

litleboy New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    even if I just want to be able to record and play video and music from attached device ( I dont need the advance record programing of the show or so)

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The only thing an unsubscribed Series 2 can do is play back existing recordings and act as a 30 minute buffer for live TV.

5. litleboy

litleboy New Member

Nov 10, 2009

Advertisements

so there is no way to make it like a media player w/ out subscription? or its possible but even that is considered to be illegal?

thks for the help.

6. dbutts

dbutts New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    tivo's are fairly useless w/o tivo service.

not heavy enough to be a boat anchor. too bulky to be a paperweight or doorstop. incorrect shape and design to be used as a frisbee.

7. dbutts

dbutts New Member

Mar 28, 2007
  8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    What you want is against board rules, because it means enabling paid for features without paying, IE, theft of services. I am not saying it cannot be done, you just won't get help here doing it.