New to Tivo - Why is my Tivo recording randomly?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jb9573, Apr 25, 2007.

1. jb9573

jb9573 New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Just got my Tivo and activated it a couple of days ago. Why does it keep recording random shows out of the blue. I've only got one season pass activated that I created on the Web just to try it out. But that's not what's recording. It's just random stuff every few hours. I can't find any other timers that are created (not that a brand new unit would have any).

Any help would be much appreciated.

-John

2. james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Turn off suggestions.

When all else fails, read the manual. :)

3. jb9573

jb9573 New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Thanks! Need to RTM but haven't gotten to that...yet. :)

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    It likes you and is showing off.

5. lcann44

lcann44 New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Recording a show you didn't ask for? Unheard of. Maybe you should consider a class action law suit. :D

6. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    As you see this can be a tough crowd -- good natured but tough. :D

Look in the manual for "Suggestions" and read this TiVo.com support article.

Michael

7. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Turn off those stupid "Suggestions".

Not a single suggestion I have ever received was of any interest to me at all..lol.

8. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Do those include non-TiVo suggestions from clever, kind people who've said things about long walks and short piers? :p

9. ErikTheViking

ErikTheViking TiVo is the ONLY DVR

Apr 25, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    TiVo Suggestions are AWESOME! (when used correctly) I go through the "TiVo Suggestions" on the main screen at least once a week and give a thumbs down to all the shows I never want TiVo to record, then I give the shows I REALLY like, but don't want to have a season pass for them, a thumbs up. This way TiVo knows the shows I like and don't like and will record them if there is nothing else being recorded or watched at the time. I think in the past 5 months since I've had the TiVo I haven't needed to watch Live TV because I had so many good TiVo Suggestions to watch. :)

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I'm a suggestions fan. Give 'em a chance and give feedback on the suggestions that it tries - that's what the red and green thumb buttons on the remote are for.

Since your TiVo is new the suggestions are essentially random. After a couple of months of SPs and rating a few shows here and there it gets very good.