New to TiVo- Upgrade Suggestions?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Cygnus X-1, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    St Paul, MN
    I just purchased my first TiVo, a Series 2 box (TSN 540....). I hooked up a Netgear FA120 adapter but it seems slow, takes ~1.5 hrs to transfer an hour of show at high setting. This just seems slow for 1.6 GB over ethernet. I mean PC to PC runs 80 Mbps but TiVo to PC runs 3 Mbps at best. I have seen info on updating the USB drivers to support the 2.0 but I have 7.2 so do I need the upgrade? Any other suggestions for upgrades to improve performance?

Anyone know of a hack to enable unprotected AAC music access? I use iTunes so half my library is encoded in AAC. I know how to re-code it but it takes time. I think TiVo should enable this, there is alot of software that isn't apple that supports it.

Anyone know of easy transcoding programs for video files? I am starting to do video podcasts and would love to transcode them occasionaly for playback in my living room. The details from TiVo are just too complex for someone who doesn't do video coding every day.

Any other cool upgrade suggestions?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I understand around 400-450 KB/S is normal for S2.5s T2G transfers.
    I have a 240, and get ~900 KB/S (1GB/20 Min)

For AAC, on a PC I believe you convert them beforehand.