New to Tivo - Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dinah Moe, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Dinah Moe

Dinah Moe Cunning Linguist

Oct 10, 2011

Advertisements

Hi all.

I'm really getting tired of paying Verizon almost $50/month for their boxes and I thought I'd look to Tivo to mitigate some of the expense.

I'm thinking of replacing my living room DVR (Motorola 7232) and my bedroom hi-def box with two Premieres.

Do I understand correctly that with the Tivos I won't be able to access the Fios VOD? If true, is that expected to change at any time?

Also, will the two Premiere boxes seamlessly talk to each other? What I mean is, if I schedule three shows on one DVR, will the box automatically use an open tuner on the other box? Are recordings from both boxes listed on each box so that it acts like it's one box?

What happens if I love the Tivos and decide to replace all of my boxes with them - even my two digital adapters? Will they all talk to each other?

I know it's a lot of info to be asking about, but help where you can.

Thanks!

2. Dinah Moe

Oct 10, 2011
    Well, I think I answered some of my own questions.

First, I didn't realize that I'd need a subscription for EACH BOX!!! That's a deal killer right there. Since I'm sure that the Tivo and Verizon boxes won't allow me to watch shows between them, I'd have no way of watching saved shows in my bedroom without having a second Tivo and having to pay an extra $10/month for it's subscription.

I know Tivo is all about recording, but it seems they should offer non-DVR boxes so you could do multiroom without having ante-up for more DVRs. Plus, one subscription should cover the whole house. I think their DVRs would fly of the shelves (along with many more profitable subscriptions).

Oh well...

3. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Dinah Moe read up on the just released Elite and believed to be coming Preview. It is unknown if the Preview will be available in the consumer market, or just via cable companies.

4. Dinah Moe

Oct 10, 2011
    Actually, I hadn't heard anything about Preview. I just did a search though, and it seems like it's what I was talking about. It's a shame that it sounds like a provider solution and not a retail solution. I didn't even know that any providers used Tivo. I thought they all had Motorola or Sci-Atl boxes with propietary firmware.

5. El Gabito

El Gabito Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Indianapolis...

Advertisements

Will the preview be subscription free?

6. mbabula

mbabula New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Hello.. Michael Babula here..

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Dinah, TiVo (the company), is all about making money from the software license (IE: Subscription), not the sale of the hardware. Given that the TiVo subscription is their only customer revenue (they do make, and spend it, on advertising and media deals), that is why there is a fairly hefty subscription fee each box you have, and there is no "one home" subscription plan, or no "no fee" boxes (at least this generation; there were some DVD models a few years back).