New to Tivo, not sure which one to try

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pderoo1, May 10, 2020.

1. pderoo1

pderoo1 New Member

May 10, 2020
    Hi All,

I'm new to Tivo and not sure which one I'd like to try. Not sure if Tivo is my answer to what I'd like to do, so I'd like some opinions.

I'd like to get rid of my high cable bill, use an antenna, get local channels and be able to stream. Sounds simple enough, but the one thing I really enjoy about cable is that it allows me to turn on my tv, go to a guide that offers me whatever selection of channels, where I can choose what I want to watch and/or record on the DVR.

Will Tivo allow me to go from local channels to whichever steaming app I want at one screen, or will I have to switch input from Tivo to a streaming app? Also, will Tivo record from the streaming apps? I'm not sure if that's even possible with or without Tivo,

TIA,
    Paula

2. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    You won’t have to switch inputs if it is an app that TiVo supports.
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/Essential_Summary/Video-on-Demand-Essentials

TiVo only records your OTA shows (or cable shows, depending on the model). It cannot record content from the streaming apps.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Do keep in mind: TiVo has a limited number of streaming apps. If what you want is there, great. If not, best to use a separate streaming device for your streaming wants. Also, apps that are on TiVo DVRs may be from a generation or 2 ago, as opposed to what you would find on your basic Fire/Apple/Roku streamer.

4. pderoo1

pderoo1 New Member

May 10, 2020

Yes, the streaming apps I'd use are there. And that makes sense that it'll only record OTA shows. There's really no need for me to record something that streams anyway. That's just my "cable" way of thinking that I need to be able to record something because it's only on at a specific time rather than streaming anytime I want it.

Thanks so much for your input!
    Paula

5. pderoo1

pderoo1 New Member

May 10, 2020

What do you mean about the apps being from a generation or 2 ago?

6. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    For example: Hulu Help

pderoo1 likes this.
  7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    See the above from @pfiagra. The apps on the TiVo DVRs may not be the most recent versions of the apps/the app families.

pderoo1 likes this.
  8. pderoo1

pderoo1 New Member

May 10, 2020
    No kidding. I guess I just assumed they would update as they do on our phones. Interesting - thank you!

9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah, I would have thought that as well. Apparently, it's the app developers, and not TiVo, that develops and maintains the apps, and TiVo's app platform is just different enough, and the TiVo audience not big enough, such as not to get priority. :(

pderoo1 likes this.