New to TiVo... Is TiVo right for me?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Disturbed_Azn, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Disturbed_Azn

Disturbed_Azn New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I am about to move into a newly remodeled house, I will be using Charter in this neighborhood.

Will TiVo fit me?

I've never used DVR and never really intended to use it for awhile... I will be using HDTV, not sure what to get from Charter/TiVo. I intend to get the Chinese International Channels for my parents

I am interested in the TiVo TCD652160 HD for $299 maybe less....

1) What service do I need from Charter?
    2) Does Charter need to know I am using Tivo?
    3) What happens if I want 2 Tvs to use it?
    4) How does TiVo work? What do I need, keep in mind it is a completely new house.
    5) Anything else I may need to know?

Hopefully, I will become a TiVo member and probably swap the HDs. =D Can one record a DVD to the Hard Drive? That seems like a possibility...

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    You can get extended basic [analog] or digital cable. If you want Discovery, ESPN, and other cable channels in HDTV, you'll probably need to subscribe to digital cable.

With analog cable, you don't need anything from Charter to use the Tivo.

Howeve, if you order digital cable, you would need to get one multistream CableCard (aka MCARD) or two standard CableCards from Charter. One multistream card does the work of two standard CableCards, but Charter may not have those available.

Note since you have Charter, which uses Scientific Atlanta CableCards, you should probably wait a few weeks. There appears to be a bug in the TivoHD's CableCard driver that causes problems -- namely, pixelization -- when Scientific Atlanta CableCards are used. TiVo released a software update two days ago that fixed some of the issues with Scientific Atlanta CableCards, but not all. TiVo expects to have a fix out for the remaining SA issues soon, possibly within the next two weeks, so I would delay your purchase until that is out. Right now, this SA CableCard issue is the main source of the complaints on this forum.

The Series3 does not exhibit these issues with SA CableCards, but it has different hardware with different drivers.

If Verizon FiOS is available in your area -- as it now is in much of NY and NJ -- they use Motorola CableCards.

If running a long cable to the second TV is out of the question, you'd probably want a second box.

With TiVo, every additional box after the first will cost you $6.95/mo. So you would prepay $300 for three years (which works out to ~$8.30/mo) for the first TivoHD, then the second TivoHD would be $6.95 month-to-month (no prepay).

Tivo told reviewers that it expects to release a software update with MRV later this year. That update will allow you to stream recordings between the Tivos in your home, so all recordings are accessible on all boxes.

The Tivo downloads guide information and software updates via the Internet. You need a broadband Internet connection or a phone jack. Broadband Internet is preferable.

The TivoHD has a built-in 10/100Mbps ethernet port. If you have no way to run ethernet cable to the Tivo, you can buy a ethernet->wireless bridge (often sold as a gaming adapter), or just use Tivo's 802.11g wireless adapter.

3. Disturbed_Azn

Disturbed_Azn New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Wow, thanks. That helped a lot. Seems like this will be a nifty device... This seems like a viable option for replacing the charter box for not much more. Especially since it replaces the cable box.

Anything else I should know?

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    As noted above, you should probably wait for Tivo to address the issue with Scientific Atlanta CableCards if you are going to stick with Charter.

I'm sure there will be mass postings about the new software when it is out. I would check back in two weeks.

5. adwolf1

adwolf1 New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    just to follow up , i have an HD with Charter Digital & 2 SA cablecards, the pixellation on our device is intermittent (like happens 3-4 times a day), slightly annoying but I find this far superior to the SA DVR that Charter originally supplied which also had pixellation.

The worst part was finding someone at Charter who knew what cablecards were all about.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Probably digital cable, since you want the Chinese package, which likely will be digital.
    For the purposes of cablecards, in a fashion. Other than possibly the extra cost of a second cablecard, there won't be any TiVo related fees.
    You can use one TiVo on multiple TVs with the right A/V and IR distribution system. All TVs will get the same program.
    You need a program source, which for the TiVo HD means cable and/or OTA antenna. You also need a phone or broadband internet connection for the service connection, and for the latter, to access networking and internet features and content. Of course, for now, there are no in-home video transfers yet on the Series 3/TiVo HD platform.
    Their pricing and service policies.
    Right now, not from your own DVDs. You will have to wait for transfers to be enabled before you can use that feature.
    But you can purchase/rent "less than" DVDs from Amazon Unbox.

7. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE