New to Tivo Have a Few Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DVRTHUNDER, Aug 12, 2007.

1. DVRTHUNDER

DVRTHUNDER New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Hi,
    I just bought a Tivo from best buy its the silver 80 hour single tuner one not sure which model it is. But I read a post a month or 2 ago about buying a wireless usb adapter for your tivo and u can link it up to your computer and burn your saved tivo movies to dvd. I bought a Dynex usb high speed wireless Ethernet adapter and I tried to get the Tivo to recognize it under the settings and It said it couldn't find a compatible network adapter. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I have to unlock in the unit before I attempt this? I bought the cheap dynex because I work at best buy and its half price for employees (21.00). I tried it in my computer and it worked so I know the adapter isnt defective.

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    That adapter is probably not supported by Tivo.

Your best bet is to get a Tivo branded wireless G adapter - it will work on any of the Series 2 or later Tivo boxes and is quite fast.

Just curious - why buy a single tuner Tivo these days? Why not a dual tuner box?

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Some people's needs are simpler than others.

List of compatible wireless adapters

4. DVRTHUNDER

DVRTHUNDER New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    I saw the single tuner on a display at work and grabbed one not knowing there was a dual tuner. Ive been reading some stuff and it seems like you cant do to much with the newer ones is mine still hackable? I really like the idea of making the free dvds of my recording and maybe putting in a big hard drive.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    putting in the bigger hard drive and making DVDs of recordings is very doable with the 540 model, most likely the model you bought at Best Buy.. Check the upgrade forum here for details on upgrading the hard drive.
    You will make the DVDs on your PC by getting the shows off the TiVo via TiVo Desktop. Check this part of the TiVo website for details on that.
    I highly recommend returning the adapter you did get and going with the TiVo wireless adapter. It is far more than just a branding by TiVo thing and the TiVo wireless adapter has been specifically designed to work with a Tivo and give it the fastest speed possible for wireless USB hookup

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    As for "hackable", you can do the same things with both the single tuner box you bought and the dual tuner box. For most people, this means just upgrading the hard drive to add more capacity.

If you didn't know about the dual tuner, you want want to consider returning the single tuner box and getting a dual tuner instead, either the S2DT or, if you are going to use digital cable, the new Tivo HD (though the THD is $299 with no rebates).

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    DVRTHUNDER,

You didn't mention what your video source is so I thought I would mention that:

1. The Series 2 Dual Tuner (DT) Tivo does not work with over the air (OTA) broadcasts
    2. The second tuner in the Series 2 DT only works with unscrambled analog cable.
    3. The original Series 3 and the TiVo HD units do not work with satellite at all.

Good Luck,