New to TiVO: Can I watch recorded shows on my Mac?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BKNY, Jul 18, 2015.

1. BKNY

BKNY New Member

Jul 16, 2015

Advertisements

I've just ordered the refurbished Roamio DVR (not the pro) from the Summer Sale for a wonderful $49. I figure it's a good way to to start off in TiVO world while waiting for new equipment in future.

I travel a little for work so I was wondering if I could watch recorded programs on my MacBook w/o the Stream box? I know you need the Stream to watch on iOS but I don't need that as long as I can watch on my laptop. Just wondering if this is something I will need to purchase as well.

Also, on the TiVO Mini for the 2nd TV - you can connect via COAX cable OR Ethernet, right? I have a COAX cable line in the bedroom but only have WiFi, not Ethernet in there.

Thank you for your help. I'm looking forward to getting rid of my FiOS DVR!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    To watch anything on anything other than the Tivo box or the Mini you will need either the external Stream, or a Roamio Pro or Plus that has a built in Stream.

The Mini requires ethernet or MoCa on your network, the good news is that if you're FiOS you already have MoCA running across your coax from the FiOS router.

3. BKNY

BKNY New Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Got it. I will pick up a stream separately if I end up needing to do that. I have Netflix & Hulu so it'll mostly get me what I need while traveling. Thank you!

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Can't you just transfer programs in their entirety to the Mac? Via web browser/tivodecode or kmttg/tivodecode? I do it in WIndows and Linux, but I am assuming it is available for OSX.

If that is true, you don't need a Mini or a Stream. You can just transfer programs to your Mac and convert the .TiVo PS file to plain .mpg with tivodecode, via a browser or kmttg(my preference), a java-based program. No $$$ required, just disk space.

I do this all the time to watch TV shows on my laptop while travelling. I just transfer them before the trip. No further internet access needed.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Stream mainly works with tablets, phones, not laptops or PCs. It would have to be transferred (copied) to the PC/Mac. Better to use KMTTG to copy them over, and decrypt option enabled. (Tivo Desktop is needed, if not decrypted.)

6. SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Stream works via the web too.
    Depending on the cable provider you can download them to your Mac.

Check out cTiVo.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=503495

7. BKNY

BKNY New Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Thank you. I will look into this. The only problem is, for work, I could be traveling anywhere from a few days to a few weeks so things will stack up on the TiVO, which is why being able to stream from the TiVO would be ideal. But it seems that I can only transfer while I'm home on the network, right? Because I'll have my laptop with me on the road. I wouldn't be able to transfer anything after I've left home. I have a Synology NAS so I'll look into solutions with that as well.

None of this is a deal breaker for me switching to TiVO, of course. I do still have Hulu and could catch up on TV shows there. Just looking for the best solution without it costing too much. Though it would be nice to be able to cancel that Hulu cost as well.

UPDATE: I've looked at the cTiVO app and it would be perfect if I could run that on my NAS so that it could still convert & transfer shows while I'm away and then I can watch them via Plex on my computer or iOS device.

8. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Op was mentioning the Stream in their post so I took that to mean they were interested in just the Stream, but you are correct, they can download as needed and decode with the appropriate package, it all depends on what their goal is.

9. a_gizmo

a_gizmo New Member

May 8, 2014
    Louisville KY
    Keep in mind that most cable providers enable copy protection on their HD cable channels. Shows recorded from anything other than local broadcast or SD channels are usually blocked from being transferred to a PC/Mac. I believe the Stream will allow you to watch those protected shows though, just not download and store locally.

10. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That's not good advice since you used the word "most" while most cable providers protect SOME channels they do not protect all, YMMV depending on providers with TWC protecting everything but locals and Verizon blocking only premiums like HBO and some Fox properties, and a Stream will let you download those to an iOS or Android device but will erase them from the Tivo.

11. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    It's funny how people assume what is true for them is true for all.

MOST cable providers DO NOT restrict channels except for premium channels.

12. a_gizmo

a_gizmo New Member

May 8, 2014
    Louisville KY
    I just thought I would provide a disclaimer. I have TWC (was formally Insight before being bought out) and have to deal with cable channels being protected. I've heard worse stories from Comcast subscribers on this forum and less for other companies. Like dianebrat said, your mileage may very. For someone new to the TiVo ecosystem it is good information to know.

13. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    For most users Comcast only blocks premium channels. I have no copy protection (except HBO), VOD, no SDV. Comcast with TiVo is awesome.

14. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm certainly not a Comcast fan, but SullyND is totally right and I cannot remember of any cases where they were locking down content a la TW. Gizmo- I'm sure you have totally read many Comcast horror stories, but not on this topic.

15. BKNY

BKNY New Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Hi all. Quick update now that I have my TiVO and have it all up and running. I actually cancelled the one I ordered from TiVo direct and bought the Roamio Plus on Amazon to be delivered w/ the larger HDD. I decided to get the Plus and forget the Mini. I think I was trying to recreate what I had w/ FiOS boxes...but after thinking about it, I remembered that the reason I had previously upgraded to the Quantum boxes was because I continually had recording conflict, so I needed more tuners! So this had Streaming built in and gave me what I wanted. I also came ot the conclusion that I hardly ever had the *need* to watch live TV in the bedroom, other than sports. And that's just so I can walk around the house doing chores and not miss anything. haha.

Anyway, I have the new HDD, cablecard & TiVo up and running now and I love it. I tested the streaming and it works ok. We'll see what happens while I'm on the road. I travel w/ my Chromecast and hook it up to the hotel TV along w/ a little portable router to create my own WISP network to get it all working. I can cast the screen on my work phone (Android). OOH streaming doesn't seem to be working for me on my chrome browser when logged into online.tivo.com though. Isn't it supposed to? I tested casting the Chrome bowser while at home and it worked well enough though.

I also did test out cTiVo and downloaded recorded shows to my NAS. The only things restricted so far are premium channels as suspected. They work wonderfully on Plex and/or can be easily loaded on to my iPad and then can be Cast to the Chromecast. I have an old MacBook Pro that still mostly works so I think I can probably leave that up when I'm gone, log into it remotely and initiate downloads of new shows.

I'm just happy to have options now.

Thanks, all for all your suggestions. I appreciate it! Looking forward to exploring the world of TiVo. If you have any tips or tricks, please feel free to send them my way. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  16. MacBrian

MacBrian Active Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Kansas
    online.tivo.com only streams from within your home network. Also, FYI, it uses Flash in a computer's browser, so if you don't have Flash installed it won't play recordings. (It will work in the Google Chrome browser because it has Flash built in.)

There is a TiVo plugin called "TiVo To Go" for the Plex server that will let you stream a TiVo recording through your Plex app for OOH streaming. I have Plex running on an old core 2 duo Mac Mini and it works great -- I can see any of my three TiVos and watch any of the recordings OOH. I like it better than my old Slingbox Solo.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  17. BKNY

BKNY New Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Unfortunately, that plugin doesn't seem compatible with my Synology box that the Plex server is installed on :(