New to TiVo – trying to get & record live streaming channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jaguarfeather, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Jaguarfeather

Jaguarfeather New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    I’m in Austin, Texas, and I finally decided to cut my Spectrum cable. I just bought an HD antennae and the TiVo Bolt OTA, which works fine so far for my local channels.

I need to see and DVR certain favorite cable channels like Discovery, History, and Travel in real time (ie: live) and thought that since the TiVo specifically includes Hulu as a service it is compatible with, I could add in Hulu to do that. For example, I want to see “The Curse of Oak Island” the night it premieres.

I'm now discovering the “gotcha” that their Live TV services that provide such access are not compatible with my TiVo, at least in terms of being able to record to the DVR.
    I’m not so concerned with scraping the bottom of costs as much as I am getting the services I want, just as they play on cable.

Is there any app or streaming service I can add to this TiVo unit to do that and be able to record it on the TiVo DVR? If not, can I at least watch the live feed from, say, History and maybe utilize Hulu or some other service’s cloud DVR?

I hope I haven't jumped the gun and put myself in a corner. I want to ditch my big cable bill!
    Thanks from a newbie at all this!

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No

3. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    If you like fiddling around with tech stuff there are some things you can set up. My family likes Tivos so I have rigged up some Rube Goldberg stuff that looks OK to them on the surface but requires some hands on from me and looks kinda messy under the hood. If I were starting all over again I'd not come at what you're trying to with Tivo.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, you cannot record anything streaming. its not like broadcasting that is only once.

5. RO-MAN1030

RO-MAN1030 Old Noob

Jun 28, 2017
    Waikele
    You can try Directv Now which has a DVR function but not as refined as Tivo. For subscription services, you may want to look at their On Demand capabilities as an alternative.