New to Roamio some quick questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by canbonbon, Mar 11, 2014.

1. canbonbon

canbonbon New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    MA, USA

Advertisements

I got the basic Roamio as part of the exchange deal. I just set it up last night so I have a few questions about its setup.
    1) Video: It has multiple output formats and my TV (Sharp 80") Supports them all. I think the best picture comes out in 1080p(60) so I have chosen that. However, if I leave it upto TIVO it claims 1080i is the best format supported. Does anyone know why?
    2) What is the difference between 1080p(60) format and the 1080 (Passthrough) format? They are both listed and I could not see any visual difference between the two.
    3) After entering the codes for my TV and AV receiver, I can control them from the buttons. However, I can only power off the TV not the AV receiver. Is there anyway to be able to power off both?
    4) Input switch button only does TV inputs. But my inputs are switched via Receiver so is there any way to make that button switch Receiver Inputs as opposed to TV inputs?

And finally, since my setup is via OTA, I am assuming here that TIVO is upconverting because the transmission is only 720p. So if that is the case, does anyone know what upconverting chip it is using? I can distinctly see the difference between 1080i format (which means my TV must be upconverting) vs the 1080p format (which means Roamio is upconverting). Especially on TIVo Menu screens, or screens that have some words written. 1080p is much sharper in those cases.

If this has been answered before, please post a link because I tried the search but nothing came up.

thanks

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Question3: You need to do the remote setup for the TV twice. Once for the TV and again for your AV. Repeat the remote setup for the TV but this time use the code for your AV receiver. Now the TiVo's power button will control both the TV and AV.

Question 4: When you do step 3 from the remote setup menu to set the up the input use your AV receiver code instead of the TV code.

3. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    You should enable 720p output on the Tivo as well, and then after examining the quality with your particular tv and how you have set its settings, decide for yourself which output settings you prefer.

Generally, its likely the TV, knowing its own display quirks and features will do a better job than having the tivo upconvert it.

Most OTA is 1080i, Fox is 720p no?

4. ncfoster

ncfoster Member

Jan 22, 2011
    It may come down to a trade-off between ultimate quality versus both channel-changing speed and HDMI handshake reliability. When I had a Premiere, I opted to stick with 720p and 1080i, since 1080p60 was not an available option. With the Roamio, I think the quality is good enough that I don't see a problem, and it makes everything work better if I don't have other options available, since the Tivo will not need to re-handshake every time the resolution changes.

5. canbonbon

canbonbon New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    MA, USA

Advertisements

Thanks for your input. I was able to configure power for both and it works now. Although it is a little shaky. e.g. it shut off the TV once and not the A/V. So then they went out of sync. One was on and the other was off. I fixed that using the A/V remote. I think I need to hold the TV Power button a little longer to switch them both off. Will try it for a few days. But thanks for the tip, I had no idea that you could do that.

About the receiver input (question 4) well, somehow that did not work. I will continue to try it again tonight and see if works.

6. canbonbon

canbonbon New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    MA, USA
    Thanks for your responses. I think I am going to stick with 1080p. The handshake (if any) is pretty fast for my A/V (and or TV). I have Pioneer elite AV and Sharp TV. The main thing is that the Roamio menus and information screens, etc. look really good in 1080p compared to 1080i or 720p (where I see slight haziness). I hardly channel surf (infact I hardly ever watch live TV). 99% of my TV watching is TIVOed programs, so I never feel the channel changing speed issues. I think I am all set now on the video output issue.

7. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    You may need to try different AV codes to find one that works. It may not work for your receiver.

8. canbonbon

canbonbon New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    MA, USA
    Yes that is what I was thinking. I will note down all possible Pioneer codes that come up and then try them one by one. The problem is that Pioneer makes both TVs and AV Receivers. And the codes are different. When I try to go through the menu to configure the TV Input and then choose Pioneer as the brand, it shows me Pioneer "TV" codes. None of those work obviously. So what I need to do is go back to the AV configuration for the mute button and then get the Pioneer codes from there and then come back here (TV Input) and try those codes. Let us see how that goes. I will report back the findings.

9. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    If you can't find one that works you could try the automatic search but I think it will only try TV codes and not AV ones.
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/292/kw/remote input codes

10. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Your remote is now sending two separate power commands for the two pieces of equipment, one after the other, so you need to hold it steady long enough for everything to be sent. Holding the button longer shouldn't be required.

11. skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    /\/\/\ This

Due to component layout in our cabinet, when using the Slide Pro remote to power on our receiver & plasma, there is a sweet spot to use that powers both on at the same time.

12. TerryD

TerryD New Member

May 17, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    My receiver brand (Denon) doesn't make TVs so I can't go through Part 1 of the remote setup a second time for the receiver power and input. Not sure if that's a common issue or not, but I would like to be able to take advantage of the receiver power and input commands via the TiVo remote. Any advise?

13. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    For the power button control. Use the same four digit receiver code from part 2, but follow the part 1 instructions.

Hold the TiVo button and power button at the same time until the lite on the remote stays on and then enter your 4 digit receiver code. If the power to the receiver does not turn off try another code.

SIDE NOTE: This will not work for receivers that have separate codes for their power on and power off. It will only work for receivers that use the same code to toggle the power on/off. Some of the Denon receivers use separate codes so this will not work.