New to HR10-250 land, and I have a couple of questions.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DonDon, Aug 17, 2007.

1. DonDon

DonDon New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Near...
    Hi all. I just got in my HR10-250 today, and just need a little help.

I want to zipper it, but I am currently at 3.1.5f software. I'm sure there has to be a newer version in the 6.X range, but I am not sure what it is. I don't want to zipper it until I have the latest sw to avoid DST issues in a couple of months.

I forced a call after registering it with DTV, and it is still at the same software rev. Any idea how long it might take to download the latest software and is there any way to force the issue short of buying an instacake image.

I have set the sat locals as channels I don't recieve. Is that the proper way to tell the DVR to record the local HD stuff? Or is there a way to do it when you set up the season pass? I cannot play with season passes yet as it is only got a days worth of guide data on board so far.

L8R

Don

2. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Must not be interested in the new HD Channels coming to DIRECTV in September.

The HR10-250 won't receive them.

3. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Why do you continually post irrelevant anti-Tivo crap to threads in a Tivo forum?

"The lady doth protest too much" I think.

Attacking Tivo really won't make you feel better about the decision you have made.

4. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Leila?

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Anyway, the latest software version for the HR10 is 6.3d.
    But, there is a 6.3e rolling out. You may have to wait for that to complete, since 6.3d probably isn't in the sat stream any longer.

6. Stanley Rohner

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Why are you getting so worked up over ?

Didn't know I was attacking TiVo. Just letting the OP know the HR10-250 won't work with any of the new HD stuff coming.

Lighten up.

7. DonDon

DonDon New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Near...
    I am not interested in any of the HD content off of the Sats right now. Anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes here knows about the crappy DTV DVRS and mpeg4. I just want the ability to record the Bears in HD this season. I would have bought a couple of HR10s last year, but they were still going for $400 bux then. I only paid $100 bux for mine last week. Not a bad deal for an OTA DVR.

I need a better picture on my 57" DLP that I bought last Feb to watch them get spanked on. :( We actually watched the carnage live over the air in HD instead of recorded in SD off of the sat. It was nice being able to see precisely where a ball was spotted, or where someone went out of bounds, but we REALLY missed the ability to pause and replay things. I still don't see the need for most shows to be in HD, and will still use the HDVR2s to do most of our recordings. I will just play them back through the HR10 into the HD input on the TV once I get it updated and zippered.

I just noticed that the CSR that activated my HR10 added the 10 dollar HD monthly fee to my account. Is that required if you have an HD receiver or will they remove that charge if I call and ask?

Thanks

Don

8. tonyquan

tonyquan Member

Feb 26, 2003

Nope, the $10 fee is required now if you activate any HD DVR, including the HR10-250.

Although you didn't care about them, you should be able to get the MPEG-2 HD channels off the satellite now. They are channels 72-79. If you have HBO or Showtime you should be able to see the HD versions of those as well.

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    And, if you are a long time customer, you may have been able to get an HR20 for $20, including a new dish and had not only reliable OTA recording but also a lot more HD. And not had to worry about what software version it is running...

Oh well, enjoy your HR10. Enjoy paying 10 bucks a month for OTA and a handful of satellite stations that will go away while the rest of us pay the same amount and get more.

10. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    OK. I am wrong. There is obviously some compelling purpose for posting childish stuff like this, since half a dozen of you are doing it relentlessly. What am I missing? What is the motivation to come into a Tivo forum to thumb your nose at those who have chosen to stay with Tivo? I am far beyond complaining now, just bewildered.

11. designr

designr Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Sorry to hijack the thread, which everyone else seems to have done already... LOL

I'm in a similar position as DonDon. I zippered my HR10 a while ago (InstantCake). I used the enhancement script (no phone line). Still on 6.3b, no later slices.

How do I force the download of the 6.3e slices so I can use the Slicer to upgrade my HR10 without wiping out all my hacks?

(btw: I'm not getting the HR20 because I don't want a new contract. I have no contract right now. I'm waiting to see what options other providers have available in the coming months. UVerse is coming to my town... right now. Charter cable is having cow as result.)

12. Stanley Rohner

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Speaking of childish.

Never tried one but already decided the HR20 is a crappy DTV DVR.

Anyone that HAS an HR20 not just listened to a bunch of negative talk about them at a TiVo forum likes the HR20.

I think Redux is the child jumping on everyone that has a kind word to say about a DTV DVR. Dude should grow up a little.

13. DonDon

DonDon New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Near...

I am not an "A" list customer, since I only have the regular channels with no premium content.

From what I hear, an HR20 user is constantly worried about the software version as it is still under development. I will not get one of those things until I hear that they actually record reliably from a broad spectrum of the customer base, not just a few mopes that insist on lingering around a TIVO forum like they wish they had never left.

There are some advantages to the HR20, but they still have issues in basic functionality that I am not willing to deal with. I know the TIVOs work, and I won't have to explain to my wife why her show did not record. Maybe next year, after the "new channels actually go on line, maybe not.

Besides, you never know after 2 years of ice cold relations, it looks like things might be thawing between DTV and TIVO. Maybe the Comcast deal is making DTV nervous.

Besides, after football season, I can always remove the HR10 from my account and sell it or throw it in the closet. As I said before, I find HD to be mostly hype. It is not needed for most shows, and I am only interested in watching football with it. Some will think I am crazy. Like I care. If 10 Bux a month is the cost of watching the Bears in HD, so be it.

Don

14. accupolka

accupolka New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Regarding the $10 monthly HD charge, I also bought an HR10-250 on ebay, activated it, and requested DirecTV to remove the HD charge. Reason - I do not have an HD sat antenna. The CSR was kind to remove the subscription (about 2 weeks ago).

15. DonDon

DonDon New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Near...
    Unless you have some hints on using an HR10-250, could you kindly go away. This battle has been fought adnauseum in other treads. Please take your battle to those threads and please reserve this one for the posted topic. On the off chance I feel like continuing that useless argument, I will join you there. :rolleyes:

Thank you

Don

16. DonDon

DonDon New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Near...
    I went on the web site under My Account this morning and removed the HD service from there. We shall see if it sticks on my next bill.

Don

17. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can't force it. It may be sitting on your hard disk already - using TiVoWebPlus to look at the "swsystem" node in MFS will tell you.

18. DonDon

DonDon New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Near...
    Thanks for the reply. Almost missed it in all the crap that got dumped on the thread.

I saw a few reports about 6.3e. I will prolly wait until that downloads to my system before I Zipper it as I want to keep the latest software on my systems to avoid the "Guide Data" issue from earlier this year.

Don

19. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    To answer your question about season passes. It is channel specific. If you set a season pass using an HD channel, it will only record shows on that HD channel and not on any SD channel the show may be on.
    Wishlists are another matter, they will record from any channel. If there is an SD channel that you don't want anything to be recorded from and that you never want to watch, remove it from your channels you receive list.

20. DonDon

DonDon New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Near...
    Thanks for the clear answer to my question. I will just continue to record the SD stuff on my SD Tivos, and only set up HD stuff on the HR10 for OTA recording.

Has anyone noticed if the HR10-250 going into the HD jacks on the TV produces a noticeably better picture than a S2 unit going in through the super VHS connector with SD recordings?

Don