New to HD Delimna

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by adlerx, Nov 25, 2007.

1. adlerx

adlerx New Member

Feb 22, 2007

Advertisements

I have been a D* customer for almost as long as they have existed and a D* Tivo customer for about 4 years. When I had trouble with my older hughes Tivo about a year and a half ago, D* convinced me to throw it away and they'd send me a new "improved" DVR, an R15. Well as we who have used Tivo know, that thing is a POS. I sent it back within days and shopped and found some tivo units and stocked up, by now I had done research and found that they were endangered. I finally upgraded to an HDTV yesterday and being ready to upgrade my Sat, came here to find my options. Well, as you all already know, the options are pretty dismal. I went to D* website only to find that their single buffer DVR with a cumbersome GUI is $300 just to lease! I called D* and talked to retention and was offered a whopping $100 discount on the HR20/21. I was very nice and explained the financial disparity between what they offer and what the other Sat provider offers and they basically said, "nice knowing you". When I asked about those that were getting free dvrs to replace their HR10-250's I was told that of course if I was already a HD customer, blah, blah, blah. Nice knowin' you...

Anyone here used the 2 room DVR product from the other Sat company? I know this is a tivo forum but since the HR20 is fair game then it's competition should be fair game for discussion too so please don't torch me for asking.....

I am not a power user but am a big double buffer user which the dish sysem has. I would really like to get +/-'s from those that have used both the latest dish and the HR 20/21. I love my tivo and D* and there are things I do not like about the other provider but for alot less money up front and per month, I am seriously considering the switch...

Discuss...

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The best place for your answers is dbstalk.com. That forum discusses DirecTV and Dish equally.

BTW, I have two HR20s and have found them pretty good. The early version of the software was bad but it is pretty stable now. And the DirecTV HD is excellent.

I know nothing about the Dish receivers so I cannot help you there.

3. adlerx

adlerx New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Thanks Tony, I'll look over there. I'll probably go with the $200 deal even though I'll feel violated, probably do that and just keep my tivo SD box for Video2so I can still watch two shows at once... I have never liked the Dish channel setup/menu system and the remote is convoluted but then I have been spoiled with D* for 15+ years
    Still like to hear more opinions though...

4. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    A friend of mine has the Dish VIP622 DVR. It is pretty nice. They seem to have come a long way from their previous systems in usability and reliability.

One issue I've heard is that many locations still require the installation of two dishes to properly receive all the channels. That may or may not be a problem in your case. As others have said, dbstalk.com has sections devoted to Dish.

5. adlerx

adlerx New Member

Feb 22, 2007

Advertisements

Just an update, called retention back and told them that I had an HR10-250(I don't) I wanted to hook up for my new D* hd service and that I wasn't about to pay $300 for their HR20. This time they went deeper and when they offered and additional $100 loyalty discount I went for it. $99, not too bad, wonder how long it will take me to get use to no double buffer, I do alot of watching two channels at once, gonna be alot more challenging now...

6. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    About a month, the HD more than makes up for it.

Providing you don't get a bum unit and you are open to the fact that the UI is different you will start to like it. At this point I have to say I prefer the operation of the HR20 after a good while to get used to it. Only the guide style remains on my wish list.

7. adlerx

adlerx New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Thanks John, that eases my mind a little. I just went out and bought an HR10-250 to help me ease into the transition. I know it won't get all the new HD channels but who knows, it might get what I watch once I start spoiling myself with the HD. Either way, I think I've figured a way to use both on my tv at the same time, and be able to just toggle between em. Then we'll see which one wins out.
    Thanks everyone for your info and advice

8. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    Remember HR10 can only get a handful of HD channels, and none of the locals unless you use OTA. HR20/21 gets you all the new one's and locals via the satellite if you're in the right location.

9. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    Adlerx, I have both the HR10 and HR20 using an HDMI switcher and my Harmony remote. It is quite awesome having 4 tuners and a Triple live buffer. It is also easy to switch from the HR10 to the HR20 when I want to watch the occasional HD show that my HR10 will not get.

This works so well that I duplicated the setup for my other HD Tv. Instead of being disappointed with the HR20, this solution was better than I hoped for.

10. Indiana627

Indiana627 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Vestal, NY
    I think you will be quite happy with the HR20. I am and I had serious doubts when I upgraded from my HR10. I had had a Directivo of some form for 3+ years and was very worried. All my worries went away with days. Do I miss DLB? A little, but not nearly as much as I thought. All the new MPEG4 HD more than makes up for it.

And I still don't get why people who have never used the HR20 call the GUI cumbersome. I think nothing could be further from the truth, and again, I had used Tivo for 3+ years prior to my HR20. I can't speak about the R15 since I never had it.

11. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I now have a HR20 and HR10 sitting in the living room.

I use the tivo model...except for what I can't get on it......

I had upgraded (harddrive space) my HR10 in the past, so this solution works for me.
    Most of my stuff is OTA anyways.

The harddrive space on the HR20 isn't a factor, since its only a backup plan.

I'm still getting used to the HR20 menu system.

I definately prefer "List" over "Grid", (an option not on the HR20)....but I get over it I guess.

The HD lineup from directv (using the HR20) is pretty good.

To each his/her own I guess.

I actually have a TivoHD as well. I think I will move my HR10-250 to the bedroom, and keep the TivoHD for OTA/HD and use the HR20 for whatever else (HD) is on.

12. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    Now that I've got used to the HR20 and pretty much like it, I am REALLY missing the TIVO style list guide. I hadn't realized how much I used it to quickly search ahead for what was upcoming. I find myself using the TIVO's for that still but, of course, can't do it for the new HD channels.

That's the only missing piece for me.

13. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If you go into the guide and move the cursor over the channel number itself, (all the way to the left) and select it, it will give you the TiVo style guide for that channel.

14. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Not perfectly like the Tivo, but a decent tip. Thanks.

Yeah, the Grid (instead of the ListView) is hurting me.

There is one HR2x feature I like.
    When you do a "Record this one time show", and there is a conflict, it asks which one (if any) you want to cancel. Aka, not just based on higher priority.

I like that tidbit.

15. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    Sorry it just doesn't cut it. I don't use that feature at all, it only shows a few shows and it's not remotely as usable.

I'm happy with the HR20's and pretty much prefer the interface but that one thing is really something I miss.

16. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    what is delimna? Can't find it in Webster's.

17. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    It's a type of question that you ask a smart-ass

18. adlerx

adlerx New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    This is exactly what I came up with. It seemed like an easy solution. I don't have all the gear yet, had to send the HR10-250 back and get another as the first one was bad so waiting for that to show up as well as the remote HDMI switch. I'll be ok. I did get the HR21 and the HD is nice although not alot of what I watch is in HD but I just got it today so no live football yet. I left my old r10 tivo setup until I get the HR10-250. The 21 isn't that bad(only had it 1 day) just the menu is extremly cumbersome and of course no dbl buffer. Can't wait for the triple buffer though! That'll be great!

19. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    I really find it odd that so many people complain about the HR20 guide. I thought the whole purpose of a DVR was to record things and not even need the guide most of the time. And I recall many old threads where anyone who even mentioned watching live TV and issues associated with it, promptly got flamed for not properly using their Tivo. Go figure.

20. tucsonbill

tucsonbill Member formerly known as cranky

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    Quite. Of course with my two HR10's I don't look at the guide. TivoWeb gives me far easier ways to find things to record. Unfortunately with the HR0 the guide is the tool that I have.