New to Galleon and TiVo Premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Mike Pfeifer, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    So I recently bought a TiVo Premier, and it's great. I have alot of music in iTunes and wanted to be able to play it back through the home theater. Now I know you can do this with TiVo Desktop software, but it's not full featured enough for me. So I searched around and discovered pyTivo and Galleon. I decided to try Galleon, and it seems like it might be what I am looking for. Problem is, there are no instructions to be found anywhere that I can find.

I have the Music app set up and working, it looks at my iTunes media folder. It displays the album art (which is awsome, this is a big deal to me.) Problem is that it shows some folders on my TiVo menu that don't have any music in them (for example, the artwork folder)

So I wanted to try the iTunes app. Now, I did not understand what it was asking for when I first set up this app. Apparently it's asking for the directory where the library XML file is (I think.) Unfortunately, I have my library XML file in a folder on a seperate drive from where the actual music files are and I originally pointed it at the music files folder.

I decided I set it up wrong, so I tried to delete the app, and re-add it again, but it comes up with the path already set to what I had it set to before. When I change it, and try to access it from the TiVo, it comes up and says there are 0 files and last refesh was 24 hours ago (when I initially set it up the first time)

So how do I manually refresh it?

Also, I cant seem to change options in the music player app (in the config prog on the PC), it throws an error that it could not connect to server.

LOL is there an actual manual for this somewhere? :eek:

Thanks in advance,

Mike P

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    As you've no doubt discovered, Galleon is a great application but is no longer actively maintained. There are a few of us who continue to run it and help others with it, so you've come to the right place.

The old Galleon documentation website on SourceForge (http://galleon.sourceforge.net) was messed up in the re-org after the SourceForge hack last month. jtkohl got the site back up, but for some reason a lot of the actual text is missing. John hasn't really had the time to figure that out, so for all practical purposes, all of that documentation is gone. :(

Anyway, I assume you are running Galleon under Windows? I run it on Linux but do have it installed on my Windows PC so I can help troubleshoot problems when necessary.

Like you said, the iTunes app looks directly at your iTunes Library XML file and parses out the music files from there. This information is cached in the database and refreshed at intervals. If you want to force a refresh, shut down the Galleon service, go into the 'data' folder where you have Galleon installed, and delete the 'itunes' folder that is there. When you restart Galleon, it will rescan your iTunes library and repopulate the database.

This is a bug in the current release. I posted a workaround for this problem here.

Hopefully this helps get you going again. Let me know! And welcome to TCF!

3. Mike Pfeifer

Mike Pfeifer What?

Mar 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Hey, thanks for the info.. I will try it out later when I get home from work.

I did know that it was no longer being maintained, but read that many people like it better than some other alternatives so I gave it a go anyway. Figured this place was the best for info, so thats whay I posted here.

Hopefully I wont have to ask too many questions however, in the future!:eek:

Thanks again!

4. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Try www.archive.org?

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yeah, that might work in a pinch. According to John, the documentation is all there in the database, but something in the Joomla site is messed up so it doesn't actually appear in the frames.