new TivoHD ... no HDMI or component inputs??? Am I screwed w/ regard to DirecTV HD?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by j0nnyhb, Sep 27, 2007.

1. j0nnyhb

j0nnyhb New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I sort of rushed out and bought a TivoHD ... I assumed there was more than just the cable and antenna coax inputs that are there (yes, I'm an idiot for not being more careful ;o) ).

My DirecTV HD receiver only has composite or HDMI output, so I cannot connect the thing to my new Tivo as far as I can tell.

What are my options? Thanks in advance.

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Use it for OTA only, just like I'm doing with my S3.

Finally, a full season of new HD shows without any HD conflicts whatsoever.

phox

3. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Oops!

You should take it back. It won't work with Directv, only cable. Don't feel too bad, you aren't the first to make that mistake.

4. j0nnyhb

j0nnyhb New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    That's what I thought the answer was going to be ... I was too impulsive! Just won over 300 bucks playing black-jack (something I rarely even try let alone win at) and I didn't do my homework :)

5. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Incidentally if you call Directv and ask nicely you can get an HD DVR that will work with Directv for far less than you paid for the TivoHD.

6. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Just don't expect it to be a Tivo.

7. juliana541

juliana541 Happy tivo

Oct 19, 2005
    weston fla
    Just out of curiosity does the tivo have hdmi out put. And this is the S/3 S/A you are talking about.

8. j0nnyhb

j0nnyhb New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    juliana541 ... this tivo does have 1 hdmi output. It is the TivoHD not the Series 3.

Thanks guys ...

Will the DirecTV DVR allow me to input cable so I can get my locals in HD? My gut feeling is not, which is why I wanted to go with Tivo (and I like Tivo ;o) anyway ).

9. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    depending on where you live you might be able to get your locals in HD over the satelite. but as bengalf said it ain't a tivo. but it does seem to do the job.

10. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    It's important to note that some that have migrated to the HR20, after giving it a chance, actually prefer it...

I am on the cusp at the moment... I have both and while I was on the TiVo side of the fence before, I am now straddling the fence...

Like everything else, when things are different, you gotta give yourself time to get used to it... And some will fight the change or are unwilling to change...

It's "Change Management 101" really... Any change, even good change, typically has a short term negative impact...

11. j0nnyhb

j0nnyhb New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    "depending on where you live you might be able to get your locals in HD over the satelite"

Nope, not in my area. Starting to poke around at Mac Mini and this eyeTV stuff.