New TIVO user

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gmange, Jul 15, 2007.

1. gmange

gmange New Member

Jul 8, 2007

Advertisements

I just received a Philips HDR212 from a friend. I have no manual. I've looked on the internet about this box and it looks like it is a Series 1 and I may be able to use it as a DVR without TIVO service. That is what I would like to try at first. I tried to do the guided setup and had problems. After entering info about my zip code, area code, and TV system (I have Dish) the TIVO made the first phone call. At the connecting screen the system went "preparing to call", "dialing", "connecting", "setting clock", getting account status", "done".

Then the downloading prompt was activated and "done".

Then Hanging up was activated and "done"

Then the Importing prompt was activated and said "preparing data", loading data", and then "1%, 3min". Then the system says "Failed while loading series".

I tried several times with similar results. Is the Philips box broken and unusable? Any help is appreciated. If there is another place I should be looking, please let me know. This is my first interaction with the TIVO community and I am a total novice about all of this.

2. louiemanno

louiemanno New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    New User

You can use your TiVo to record live TV it buffers the last 30 minutes. So if you are in the middle of a half hour show and you want to record it will save it from the beginning. There will me no show data and no title on the header, however just the time it was recorded and the channel number. You can also set it by time and channel like a VCR.

Try this… I used a series one for the security system in a Deli that I owned. I remember going through the set up process. When you are prompted to select a program source choose cable set to box... This would allow for input through the RCA jacks. The box will go through it’s set up routine and ask you if you have TiVo Service select no… as I recall at that point a popup appeared which admonished me to get TiVo service because without it the DVR’s capabilities are severally limited. Then hit live TV on the remot, at that point a signal should come through.

But I recommend the TiVo service though it may not seem like a big deal… believe me you will be hooked the first time you use it.

Louie

3. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  4. gmange

gmange New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Worachj:

Thanks for the link to the user guides. The HDR212 isn't there but the HDR312 is the same except for the capacity, I think.

GM