New Tivo user - Remote problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rick1020, Dec 31, 2005.

1. rick1020

rick1020 New Member

Dec 31, 2005
    My remote control is not as responsive as a typical remote control. I often have to push buttons multiple times to make something happen.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Any suggestions?

ps. I have programmed the remote to control my TV and those functions work fine.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What remote is it?

You may also have other IR in the room causing interference.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
  4. dwynne

dwynne New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    I just went through this with my wife on "her" DTivo. She started complaining of poor range - she had to get right up to the DTivo to make it work. She replaced the batteries and tried the spare Tivo remote - no luck.

When I looked at the green light on the front panel it was blinking - and it WAS hard to get the attention of the DTivo. I covered up the IR sensor on it and the flashing quit. After going around the room and checking the other remotes, we found one stuck "on" constantly sending. Once that one shut off the DTivo remoted work like its old self.

So if the green light is pulsing and blinking try covering it up the sensor - if it stops then you have an IR source spewing in the room that is keeping your remote from working.

Dennis

5. Sep 8, 2007 #5 of 11
    Norm!

Norm! Norm!

Aug 20, 2006
    Colorado
    OK,

I am *exactly the same* as Rick1020. My remote, most of the time, requires multiple presses to do anything. This is especially frustrating when fast forwarding at 2 or 3 speed. Also pretty damn bad when navigating menus, epecially ones where I know where I'm going. A few facts:

This has been occurring for more than one Tivo, not just this one, and not just this remote. I have had Tivo for years, and have been frustrated with this for years. I thought it was because of a firmware upgrade, since it started several months into the ownership of my first Tivo. But with new Series 2 hardware (a year or more ago), the problem remained.

I don't think this is a remote in the room stuck with a button pressed. It would have had dead batteries months ago.

I've done several restarts over the months/years. No change.

I have been thinking all along about IR "noise" in the room, but it's a fairly dark room, and the problem does not go away at night. I have a TV (duh), Tivo (duh), CD/DVD changer, and stereo receiver in the room. That's it! So what could it be?

Frustrated in Fresno (not really),
    Norm

6. Sep 9, 2007 #6 of 11
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Another way to determine if IR interference is causing a problem is to get real close to the unit (using your body to block other signals) and see if the remote works better.

7. Sep 9, 2007 #7 of 11
    Norm!

Norm! Norm!

Aug 20, 2006
    Colorado
    I tried your suggestion, blocking other sources by placing my body in front of the box. I could sit there and see the reflection from the red LED on the front of my peanut simultaneous with the yellow "acknowledgement" LED on the front of the Tivo box. I was just popping around the menus at high speed, up, up, up, down, down, left, left, left, right, right. All this while holding the remote 6" from the box.

It worked pretty well. Most of the time. But I would say at least 20% of the time, it would simply miss the key press. The remote LED would light up, so I know the remote was getting the button presses. But the acknowledge did not happen at the Tivo box. It simply missed the button press. And often if it missed one, it missed two or even three button presses in a row. And then would just start catching them again.

It's all pretty annoying. So is this normal with Tivo? As I said before, my first box did not do this for several months after purchase, and I presumed all along that when it started, it was due to a software upgrade. But this newer box has acted this way from Day 1, which was about a year ago.

Thanks for any help, or simply info, you can throw my way,
    Norm

8. dwynne

dwynne New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Try new batteries, if it is not that and not a stuck emitting remote in the same room then the problem will likely be solved by purchasing a new remote control.

I have had several peanut remotes fail over the years and missing key strokes or doubling them up are the signs. I read here or elsewhere that you could try disassembling the remote and cleaning it to "fix" it for a while - I never tried, just picked up a new remote, popped in fresh batteries, and the program was solved.

Dennis

9. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    I had the Tivo technician once tell me to remove the batteries and depress each and every button on the Tivo peanut remote at about medium speed. This has fixed problems for me on occasion.

It's free and easy to try. Hope it might help you.

Barbeedoll

10. Norm!

Norm! Norm!

Aug 20, 2006
    Colorado
    I tried your suggestion, blocking other sources by placing my body in front of the box. I could sit there and see the reflection from the red LED on the front of my peanut simultaneous with the yellow "acknowledgement" LED on the front of the Tivo box. I was just popping around the menus at high speed, up, up, up, down, down, left, left, left, right, right. All this while holding the remote 6" from the box.

It worked pretty well. Most of the time. But I would say at least 20% of the time, it would simply miss the key press. The remote LED would light up, so I know the remote was getting the button presses. But the acknowledge did not happen at the Tivo box. It simply missed the button press. And often if it missed one, it missed two or even three button presses in a row. And then would just start catching them again.

It's all pretty annoying. So is this normal with Tivo? As I said before, my first box did not do this for several months after purchase, and I presumed all along that when it started, it was due to a software upgrade. But this newer box has acted this way from Day 1, which was about a year ago.

Thanks for any help, or simply info, you can throw my way,
    Norm

11. Norm!

Norm! Norm!

Aug 20, 2006
    Colorado
    Sorry for the double clutch...
    (insert sheepish grin here)
    ...and thanks for the tips, I'll keep trying.

Norm