1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TiVo Roamio OTA - How do I connect a SlingBox M2

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by OKC Native, Feb 14, 2018.

1. OKC Native

OKC Native New Member

Feb 14, 2018
    I recently cut the cable cord (still have Internet) and bought a new TiVo Roamio OTA. I really want to be able to stream content from my TiVo OTA to my phone while I'm away from the house and to other TV's inside my house (via Apple TV as advertised on SlingBox).

I just got my SlingBox M2 in the mail. It has component inputs and outputs, but my TiVo has neither. How can I connect it to my TiVo (or can I not)?

Thanks!

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The Romioa OTA has an output port that accepts a composite breakout cable which could be plugged into the composite input of the Slingbox m2. You have to buy the breakout cable separately.

3. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    If you want to stream in HD, get a TiVo Mini for a 2nd tv in your house and use the breakout cables to connect the mini to the slingbox via component. That’s how I use mine to sling between homes in Tulsa and Las Vegas.

4. OKC Native

OKC Native New Member

Feb 14, 2018

Thanks! I just ordered a cable on Amazon.

5. OKC Native

OKC Native New Member

Feb 14, 2018

I have 3 older style TiVo mini's from my previous Cable compatible TiVo. I don't utilize a MoCA network because each of my TV's has it's own OTA set top antenna that takes up the coax connection on my TV's.

Can I just connect a mini directly to my Roamio OTA (maybe via ethernet) and then connect the mini to my SlingBox? Is that better than connecting the SlingBox directly to the TiVo OTA?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  6. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Personally, I would use a mini. One it gives you an HD stream, but if the slingbox is connected to the Roamio then when you use the slingbox no one else will be able to watch live tv or dvr shows with the Roamio. They will have to watch whatever is being watched with the slingbox. Using the mini allows someone else to still watch on the Roamio.

You can connect the Roamio and the mini to a router via Ethernet and set up the mini for an Ethernet connection, but you can’t connect the Roamio and mini to each other.

To use Moca you would need a Moca adapter and coax connection near your router and then a coax wall connection near the mini. Then setup the mini for Moca instead of Ethernet. Using Moca won’t interfere with the antennas if they are just indoor rabbit ear or flat mudflap Wall Mount types.

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, and yes. Technically you'd connect the Mini and your Roamio to your router, not directly to each other.

Component from the Mini requires 2 cables, one of which is the same as the one you just ordered, the other is different.

8. OKC Native

OKC Native New Member

Feb 14, 2018
    I looked through my box of extra cables and I found a breakout cable (single male cable to white/red/yellow). When I connect it and then try to setup the SlingBox, it keeps saying it can't find a video signal. When I go through the help and select my video source, it keeps showing me a pic using the green/red/blue cables. I may be selecting the wrong video source, but I can't seem to find one that is correct.

Any ideas?

9. OKC Native

OKC Native New Member

Feb 14, 2018
    My TiVo Roamio OTA is already connect via wifi to my router (router is on other side of house so ethernet is not an option). Can I leave it on wifi and connect a mini to my router via ethernet? My router is in my home office and I have a TV in there.

10. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    No ethernet or moca is required

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You're missing punctuation after "No".

fcfc2 and JoeKustra like this.
  12. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

JoeKustra likes this.
  13. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    after the unhelpful interruption

It's been years since I set my slingbox up. Try a different colored cable end from the breakout cable, in the yellow video in connection on the slingbox. If its not an actual Tivo specific breakout cable, then the wiring may be different.

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    :rolleyes: It's one thing to make a simple grammatical or syntactical mistake. It's quite another to make one that makes the sentence say the exact opposite of what is intended.

fcfc2 and JoeKustra like this.
  15. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You need to set the input source on the sling box to composite, not component. The yellow RCA plug should be plugged into the yellow socket labeled video. The red RCA plug should be connected to the red socket labeled video R and the white RCA plug should be connected to the white socket labeled video L.

http://www.slingbox.com/en-US/Support/KB/~/media/KBArticles/KB-1000211/Slingbox_M1_back_AV.ashx

osu1991 likes this.
  16. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    It’s one thing to be a grammatical a**hole and another to be helpful. So go roll your eyes somewhere else and fix your own punctuation errors in the other thread you were in. Someone else to add to the ignore list!

17. Jim1348

Jim1348 Member

Jan 3, 2015
    It is good to see other Slingbox folks on here. I have been using a Slingbox PRO-HD for a number of years now. My local Microcenter just dropped the price of an open-box Slingbox 500 to $179.96 a few weeks ago, so I bought it.

I wasn't sure if the HDMI connection from the Tivo Mini to the Slingbox 500 would work, but it works great. I actually have the breakout cables, too, and they are connected to the Slingbox PRO-HD.

I also have a Roku 3, usually on DIRECTV NOW, running through an HDMI to HDMI-Component splitter, feeding the component inputs on the Slingbox PRO-HD. Since the Roku 3 will work with IR signals from the Slingbox, it seemed like the definitive choice for me.

And, for those wondering why I would use a Slingbox with DIRECTV NOW, rather than just watching natively on an app, I have two reasons. One, if I want Audio Only, when listening on a smartphone, it uses much less data and battery power, compared to watching normally.

The other issue is watching out of my home area. DIRECTV NOW will not allow me to view the local channels is carries if I am located out of the market area. Slingbox could care less.

18. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    F.Y.I. I got one of those breakout cables from Amazon (actually Weaknees via Amazon), hooked it to one of my Roamio OTA's and got scrambled signal from it (looked "digital" is the only way I can describe it), tried all the output modes with no change.

Hooked the same cable to my Roamio Basic and it worked great.
    I didn't try hooking to my other OTA which is slightly newer though.

No idea what was going on there.
    Just a heads up.

(had family members on Family Feud and they wanted a DVD they could play for other family members that weren't able to watch, so got the cable to hook to my old DVD recorder)

19. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    What you wrote was exactly the opposite of a true statement; by leaving out the comma what you said became a misleading falsity. It wasn't grammatically incorrect, but it was just plain wrong.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list if you like.

fcfc2 likes this.
  20. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Done!