new tivo questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by deltablack, Mar 8, 2011.

1. deltablack

deltablack New Member

Apr 30, 2007

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting a new Tivo premier unit. I currently have a series2 with a month to month subscription. Is there a way if I get lifetime service on the new box to then transfer the program info from the new box to feed the old box so I can drop the service for the series 2? If not can I still transfer shows to and from the series2 if I do not have a service agreement?

Thanks for the help

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Are you talking about somehow moving Lifetime from the Premiere to the S2 and the pay by the month to the Premiere?

Or are you talking about somehow "cloning" the Lifetime sub onto the S2 and dropping the monthly payment so that you have service on both while having only bought Lifetime once?

The first is probably too complicated to get TiVo to agree to.

The second would probably be beyond your capabilities because if it weren't you wouldn't have to ask, but in any case would be considered "theft of service".

If there's a TiVo-oriented site on the internet that even tolerates discussion of that, much less talks abut how to do it, I am unaware of it.

There's another web site which goes more deeply into "TiVo hacking" than this one, apparently so much so that it is prohibited from even being named here. Even on that site discussion of "theft of service" from either TiVo or cable and/or satellite providers is not tolerated.

Even TiVo enthusiasts, on any site of which I know, who might not have a moral objection do not wish to do anything that would drive them out of business.

You might get some sort of extension from TiVo on the S2 sub for the purpose of moving shows off of it to the lifetimed Premiere via Multi-Room Viewing and/or Tivo Desktop (I recommend the latter, as it better preserves the info that accompanies the recordings), but if you aren't going to continue paying on the non-lifetimed machine TiVo expects to no longer have to service it (unless you sell it to someone who's going to subscribe it).

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Simply no. MRV on a TiVo requires it to have service.

4. deltablack

deltablack New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Does Tivo renegotiate subscription prices for older boxes. I have been paying 14.89 for month to month for close to 5 years now and would like to reduce that cost.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

It never hurts to ask, but generally no.

The going rate is still $12.95/month (less tax). The best you could do, if there is no negotiation give, is switch to a yearly rate. With that, you get 12 months service for the price of around 10 months.

Another option would be to cancel the Series 2, buy full product lifetime on the Premiere ($399.95), and MSD monthly or yearly on the Series 2, for $9.95/mo or $99.95/yr.