New TiVo Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gfields, Sep 19, 2010.

1. gfields

gfields New Member

Sep 19, 2010

Advertisements

I looked through the faq’s and couldn't find an answer so these may be obvious, but I want to make sure I’m buying everything I need. I have an old HD TV that requires an HD receiver to pick up HD channels. If I get a TiVo Premier, can I dump the receiver, just plug an HD antenna into the Tivo, and then plug the TiVo into the TV? The receiver is on its last legs and I want to replace it with a TiVo if that will work.

Second question, if all I have to do is plug in the HD antenna, will I be able to record two shows at once?

Thanks for your help.

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If your monitor TV has HDMI or component inputs than you can plug the TiVo into the TV directly and connect the TiVo to the HD antenna. You will be able to record two shows at the same time (unless you need a rotator to turn the antenna for different OTA stations).

3. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    Or DVI using an HDMI to DVI cable.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231
    I only mention that because I at one point had an HDTV w/o a digital tuner that had DVI, not HDMI... HDMI wasn't in the consumer marketplace at that point.
    I used HDMI to DVI cable for a couple years on that TV to connect to the cable box.

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have that now and did not think of it, as my Optoma HDTV 65" was purchased in 2004, and has a DVI (with HDCP decoding, a $100 extra option at that time), BNC, component HD, and component SD (for DVD players) and SD composite. I had to purchase BNC to RCA converters so i could that input. I don't know of any consumers electronics that had BNC outputs, but there must have been something.
    The OP HDTV may not have the HDCP decoders built in as the external tuner may have taken care of that at the time, in that case the HDMI TiVo output would not work, he would have to use the component cables only.

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010

Advertisements

Would it not work at all, digital, without HDCP, or would it just refuse to work with "protected" programs? (Granted, some cable companies mark just about everything as "protected"....)

Oh how we love DRM, how it only punishes honest people.... different topic, of course.

6. gfields

gfields New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Thank all of you for the help. I found the manual for my television and while it doesn’t have HDMI, it does have component inputs. It’s a Samsung TXM2796HF. From what I’ve read here, I think it will work. I think what had me confused was that I remember it was a HDTV monitor and you couldn’t just plug an antenna into it.

I am going to order the Premier this week. I’m updating my old DirecTV TiVo unit so I’m hoping it will be a nice upgrade. I’ve called and emailed DirecTV several times asking when their TiVo unit was coming out and I never got an answer so I’m tired of waiting. I'll just switch to an antenna for awhile.

Thanks again. You guys really are helpful.