Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lajohn27, Mar 8, 2006.
Much simpler solution!
STILL BEING TOLD I HAVE TO BUY IT BETWEEN FEB AND MARCH BY SUPERVISOR. What gives? When will everyone understand that WE CAN upgrade to lifetime?
Will calling the 408 corporate office help or will we get the run around and be told to call customer service again?
Try waiting a few days. It's not like it has to be done today.
In the quote from TivoPony he asked us to wait until later today or TOMORROW before calling the CSRs. Can you wait at least more than two hours? You have almost a month to call. Give Tivo a chance to get the rihgt information out to their CSRs.
So this includes TiVos that have previously been subscribed as monthly? Not just recently bought units, but old ones too? In other words, a no holds barred lifetime upgrade for everybody who wants to do it through 4/15/06?
Edit: I see this was answered in another thread. It seems that it's true, a general no holds barred upgrade period, except for bundled units.
I'm new to tivo and I apologize if this is inappropriate at this point, but I went with the monthly plan for the first month while I worked out technical issues with the service and box. Now that (most of) the bugs have been worked out, I discover these forums and learn that I've missed the window to buy lifetime. I'm responding to a 3.8.06 post, so i may have missed some new developments, but I'm pretty disappointed that I cant' upgrade my service. You guys are all in-the-know her in the forums, but that doesn't help us new guys who are struggling just to get the box working, let alone have the time to scan these posts for details like this. I think this could have been better communicated to new subscribers. I'm pretty much up a creek at this point and am not pleased.
It's possible I'm wrong, but I believe I read a post that was written today by TivoPony stating that you can still purchase lifetime through some date in April. It's in this thread, you might want to check around or maybe someone will come and point it out to you. You do, however, have to go use the phone, call the toll free number, and ask the CSR there.
I don't know your specific situation, but I upgraded a tivo that I ordered on 3/12 and that arrived 3/20, early this morning. I was pretty upset because instead of applying my year long sub, which was offered as an alternative to a rebate, they charged full price for the lifetime and then are going to refund the price of the 12 month Tivo gift sub. Yes, I know it boils down to the same thing, except that the charge back takes any number of days, that upset me. But the important thing for you to note is that today I was able to get a lifetime sub. (I knew I wanted one because I've got another Tivo with one, and am convinced that Tivo is the way to go.)
Anyhow, give it a try. The worst thing that happens will be that you spend some time listening to their elevator music while on hold. TivoPony advises waiting a few days till the CSRs are acclimated to this (but I suggest you don't wait much longer than that.)
Yeah, I just saw that. I just found this forum yesterday and have been trying to wade through the history of this problem. I was just going out to my post to edit when I saw your reply. thanks for pointing it out.
Wow. Very nice of TiVo to do this.
Another example of how Tivo always seems to end up doing the right thing for its' customers.
(Now if you guys could just get the "kick ass" marketing campaign put together ... )
It has been so long since I purchased a lifetime...what are they charging for us to upgrade to Lifetime right now? Also, since most of us around here have multiple Tivos, depending on the cost of lifetime, isn't 6.95 possibly a better deal?
I have a series 2 on lifetime and a second at 6.95. How much are they going to charge me to make that second one lifetime? Do I really want to do that if I am going to get a S3 anyway? I can just buy an S3 and pay 6.95 for that as well. I guess the only reason to upgrade to lifetime on my second S2 would be to sell it, but why take the chance and hassle of that.
$299 if you still can. See the sticky threads.
Shame on all of you who are praying upon poor TiVo in its desperate hour of need by buying Lifetime which you forced TiVo into extending the availability of beyond the time it wanted to.
Don't you realize you are hastening the demise of the very entity which sustains the life of your TiVo DVR by purchasing this money losing service plan? You are like an angry mob, ripping at the flesh of your only hope. Once TiVo "goes belly up" from your selfish behaviors, all of us will be lost, yourselves included.
But the EBAY PROFITS will still remain !!
Once Tivo rids itself of R&D, and just sells guide service, they will find it easier to make a profit.
If Tivo is going to make money going forward, it will need to be able to recoup all the R&D and programming costs associated with introducing new product. If they simply stopped spending money on developing new product, and just delivered guide data, they'd see the money pouring in with whatever monthly subs are out there.
Is it the right thing to do? From a shareholders point of view, yes. Make money.
From a consumer's / fan's point of view? No.
Who will win that battle?
Stopping R&D, new product development, etc, in this industry would be like cutting your own throat. Yes you might be profitable for a few years but you would be guaranteeing your whole company would be obsolete in a few more...that would not make sense to shareholders or anyone else.
Well, if you will NEVER make a profit by continuing the spend on R&D, then which is the correct choice? I think you will see Series 3 priced at a point where Tivo will be able to recoup their R&D.
Tivo has committed themselves to R&D. They are promising Series 3. I assume they will be spending money on R&D for Series 4. In order to recoup those R&D dollars, they eliminated Lifetime subs, so that every box sold from here on out will always be bringing in revenue.
If you are a shareholder, you want to make money. If you are on the board of directors, it is your responsibility to make money for the stockhodlers. Tivo is hoping that by eliminating lifetime, they can make money. If they don't see the black with Series 3, in my opinion they are dead in the water.
I posted this in another thread. It's from the film "Other People's Money":
"You know, at one time there must've been dozens of companies making buggy whips. And I'll bet the last company around was the one that made the best goddamn buggy whip you ever saw. Now how would you have liked to have been a stockholder in that company? You invested in a business and this business is dead. Lets have the intelligence, lets have the DECENCY to sign the death certificate, collect the insurance, and invest in something with a future. "
If Tivo can't make it into the black with Series 3, consider the stand-alone DVR market the next buggy-whip.
I predict that unless a message is put on the TiVo boxes informing people of the change, there are still going to be a lot of people not getting the news until after April 15th, and then they'll be registering here at TCF to gripe about the loss of lifetime. Some of them will be on a one year pre-paid subscription for a TiVo they bought less than a year ago, and they'll say they had intended to upgrade to lifetime before their one year is up.
I'm not saying TiVo *needs* to put this message on everbody's boxes because maybe they don't want to give away too many money-losing lifetimes. I'm just saying I think there are still going to be complainers.
How 'bout some adventurous sole writing an HME app for apps.tv that shows the message about Lifetime?
Yes TiVo NEEDS to put a message on everyone's box. They need to set a firm deadline date, post a message to all boxes and move on to the new pricing plan. That would settle all gripes and complaints.