New Tivo Price Plans - No More Lifetime + Responses to Summary

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lajohn27, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1 of 1393
    lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada

Advertisements

New Bundled Offering, Flexible Pricing and Service Commitments Will Simplify Offering for Consumers

Mar 08, 2006 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVR), today announced new, simplified pricing plans that will make it easier for consumers to add TiVo to their home entertainment experience. For the first-time ever, through TiVo's direct sales channel, customers will be able to bundle together the purchase of their TiVo(R) 80-hour Series2(R) box and service at an all-in-one price, based on a one-, two-, or three-year commitment. There will be no separate price for the TiVo unit and TiVo(R) service. The specific bundle prices that will be available at www.tivo.com or by calling 1-877-BUY-TIVO are:

* The price for a TiVo box and a one-year service commitment is $19.95 a
    month or $224 prepaid
    * The price for a TiVo box and a two-year service commitment is $18.95 a
    month or $369 prepaid
    * The price for a TiVo box and a three-year service commitment is $16.95 a
    month or $469 prepaid

TiVo developed these new pricing plans after completing market research among new and existing TiVo subscribers and by conducting extensive testing of the pricing options with randomized group of consumers in the marketplace. The results of the research were overwhelmingly favorable to the bundling together of the TiVo unit and TiVo service. As is the case with subscribing to the TiVo service today, an early cancellation fee will apply if service is terminated prior to the end of the chosen period. In the case of prepaid subscriptions, no refund will be made upon early termination.

"Over the past several months, we have done extensive research on our pricing strategy and distribution model with a focus on finding the simplest and most efficient way to increase sales and drive penetration of the TiVo service among consumers," said Tom Rogers, CEO of TiVo. "After extensive testing and evaluation of various pricing and packaging approaches, we will launch a subscription option that combines the sale of the TiVo service together with the TiVo box. This is great for TiVo subscribers who will now have the ability to get TiVo service with no upfront hardware costs."

As part of the announcement, TiVo is also announcing an update to its service-only options, providing consumers that purchase a TiVo unit at a retail outlet with the option to pre-pay for one-, two-, or three-years of TiVo service. The product lifetime service option will be eliminated next week. With the ability to pre-pay for TiVo service, TiVo is standing by its efforts to deliver choice to its customers and continuing to spread the "TiVo, TV Your Way" message.

"We are committed to providing our customers a great value for their dollar and enhancing our ability to add subscribers through more flexible pricing options," said Mr. Rogers.

The changes to the pricing structure and service-only options will launch next week. The changes will not affect TiVo's current base of subscriptions.

2. Mar 8, 2006 #2 of 1393
    dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    It might be a little quick to proclaim the death of lifetime service...

at least I hope it is, as I bought a refurbed box a week ago and am waiting for it to arrive so that I can activate lifetime, which is specifically allowed in the terms still up on TiVo's webpage.

3. Mar 8, 2006 #3 of 1393
    lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    From the press release.. "The product lifetime service option will be eliminated next week."

4. Mar 8, 2006 #4 of 1393
    Hew

Hew New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    "Fourth Quarter Highlights

TiVo announces pricing change

Concurrent with this earnings release, TiVo announced new, simplified pricing structures that make it easier for consumers to add TiVo to their home entertainment options. TiVo developed the new pricing structure after completing several months of market research among new and existing TiVo subscriptions and extensively testing the pricing options in the marketplace.

For the first-time ever, through TiVo's direct sales channel, customers will be able to bundle together the purchase of their TiVo 80-hour Series2 box and TiVo service at an all-in-one price, based on a one-, two- or three year commitment at $19.95 a month or $224 prepaid, $18.95 a month or $369 prepaid, and $16.95 a month or $469 prepaid, respectively. The changes to the pricing structure will launch next week and will not affect TiVo's current subscription base.

As part of the announcement, TiVo is also announcing an update to its service-only options, providing consumers that purchase a TiVo unit at a retail outlet with the option to purchase their TiVo service based on one-, two- or three-year commitments upfront. The lifetime service agreement option will be eliminated."

5. Mar 8, 2006 #5 of 1393
    Aflat

Aflat Member

Aug 29, 2005

Advertisements

If they get rid of lifetime, then I just bought my last Tivo box ever. I'll be moving to a homebrew once my Tivo doesn't do all the stuff I want it to.

6. Mar 8, 2006 #6 of 1393
    dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Yikes! Sorry, I read through the press release quickly twice, and missed that line both times. Damn, that sucks! No S3 for me it looks like. :(

7. Mar 8, 2006 #7 of 1393
    peteypete

peteypete New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Can existing subscribers still lifetime boxes that they currently own?

8. Mar 8, 2006 #8 of 1393
    Hew

Hew New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    So they have basically increased monhly service. After this week you won't be able to buy a box and then the service @ 12.95. You must buy box with service at either 17 bucks per month for 3 years or 20 bucks a month for a year.
    (Correction, you can still buy a box and service seperatly at the same price, if any mod wants to delete this message please go ahead and do so. I jumped to conclusions. : P)
    PS.

What about the 40 hour unit? Has it been discontinued, they are only offering it for the 80 hour.

9. Mar 8, 2006 #9 of 1393
    Mavrick22

Mavrick22 New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Probably not

10. Mar 8, 2006 #10 of 1393
    dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I was once planning to get an S3. Oh well. It's been a good 6 years plus however long ye olde S1 holds together. It looks like the S3 is going to be TiVo's Beta ED.

11. Mar 8, 2006 #11 of 1393
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

so does this mean I could not lifetime subscibe a TiVo DVR I already own ?

math time
    6.95 * 12 months = 83.40

a person who already owns a TiVo would have no incentive to do this on a second or more TiVo.

12. Mar 8, 2006 #12 of 1393
    lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Lifetime service is available for purchase for 7 days. So, you got a few days to get any boxes you have now covered under lifetime I'd guess.

Service only options will persist. So you can still buy the box at retail and pay monthly. And while the press release isn't exact, my guess is that the service only rate hasn't changed.

And lastly, the press release states that none of this impacts current subscribed boxes.

13. Mar 8, 2006 #13 of 1393
    juststained

juststained New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Earth
    Ive been telling folks Lifetime was leaving soon.... :rolleyes:

Oh and Yes, any current Lifetimes are fine.

14. Mar 8, 2006 #14 of 1393
    dsb411

dsb411 Member

Sep 29, 2004
    North...
    What about the multi tivo discount? Is that dead too? :eek:

15. Mar 8, 2006 #15 of 1393
    lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    I must say I have to laugh at the folks in this thread who proclaim they'll change to another DVR.

I assure you that a few days with a Motorola DVR running the crappy cableco DVR software and 12.95 a month will look like a bargain.

16. Mar 8, 2006 #16 of 1393
    headroll

headroll Let em' Roll

Jan 20, 2003
    Long...
    Unfortunately, I agree (about price, not features). I currently own 5 TiVos, 4 with lifetime (one without is used by the Nanny who will only be around another year or so) and would be real apprehensive to add another (new) box to the mix if I couldn't get the cost out the door up-front.

This said ... I really want an S3.

-Roll

17. Mar 8, 2006 #17 of 1393
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Actually, my Moxi box is now cheaper per month than the new TiVos. I'm not sure how they plan on selling single tuner TiVos at this price point. But I'm sure they have investigated the price point so they know what they are doing. Btw, my Moxi box is not crappy.

18. Mar 8, 2006 #18 of 1393
    juststained

juststained New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Earth
    The 40 hour boxes are gone once the refurb units on the Tivo site and any ones remaining in stores are sold out.

and thats the gist!

19. Mar 8, 2006 #19 of 1393
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Well, the 80 hour is a much better TiVo for new users anyways. The 40 always seemed to small a hard drive for the average family.

20. Mar 8, 2006 #20 of 1393
    xnevergiveinx

xnevergiveinx New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    i just called tivo, because i ordered the refurbed box yesterday. they will be getting rid of lifetime subs on the 18th.
    i was worried that i wouldn't get my tivo box in time before they get rid of lifetime, and when i called to get my lifetime sub, they would say i couldn't get one.

the cool guy on the phone said that i can call and get my lifetime sub no problem if i do it before the 18th. if i call after the 18th, they just need to get approval from a supervisor. he said that 30 days after the 18th is the grace period for all the people that bought series 2 refurb boxes to get lifetime subs.
    that made me feel so much better.

this is awesome news for anyone who currently has a lifetime sub on a tivo, because they will be worth more when selling on ebay!

i wonder if the second tivo i have will still be $6.95 a month?