New Tivo Premiere, locks up on Tivo screens

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by PatMcNJ, Oct 2, 2011.

1. PatMcNJ

PatMcNJ Member

May 21, 2006

Advertisements

I have a new Tivo Premiere, bought it yesterday. My Series 3 Tivo died (will try to replace the hard drive next week). I am an average Tivo user, we have 4 boxes right now in the house (three are Series 2 Tivos).

Tonight the Premiere froze twice while I was moving around the Tivo menus. The 2nd time, ironically, it was after watching the last of the five 60 second welcome videos. I had to disconnect the power and reboot the Tivo both times. Very annoying. Should I exchange it, is this likely a hardware problem? Do I need to call Tivo, to send me some sort of software upgrade? Is it maybe a cablecard issue?

All in all, I miss my Series 3. I LOVED seeing the name of the programs it was recording on the front, and the clock too. I am hoping to repair it (it has the lifetime service). I thought I would fix it as a backup to the Premiere, plus I will have more than one high Def TV eventually, and will want it then. NOW I just want to return the Premiere and use the Series 3, if the freeze ups continue. (If I return the Premiere, can I get a refund of the lifetime service I bought for it? I regret that already).

Thanks! I really am worried with the freezing up of this brand new box. And I am using the old style screens, did not like the HD ones.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    How long have you had the Premiere. Is it hooked up to high speed internet? If not, you may need to use the SDUI(standard definition user interface).

Has it upated to the latest software version(service updates)?

3. PatMcNJ

PatMcNJ Member

May 21, 2006
    It is on high speed internet and I am using the standard interface (we just prefer it). I am using a new "N" Tivo brand adaptor as well, connected to my apple airport extreme router.

I am not sure about the software updates, I will look into it. I would think it does have it, since i just bought it 2 days ago and hooked it up Friday afternoon. It has dialed in and has all the programming for the next 2 weeks, wouldn't that also bring in any software updates?

I will just see how it goes over the next week until I try to fix the hard drive on the Series 3. I realized looking back, it locked up both times when I tried to exit the Tivo screens hitting "Live TV" or "Guide". I did this when several menus deep into the Tivo screens.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Are you using cable or OTA? If cable, have you gotten the CableCARD paired to the TiVo? Do you have a TA attached to the TiVo?

Check network status and Software Version.

5. PatMcNJ

PatMcNJ Member

May 21, 2006

Advertisements

Yes cable card is paired. All is well except for the lock ups. Happened 3X today. Once on live TV, it was stuck on CNN, but it was live, not frozen per se. But, I could not change the channels, or go into my Tivo screens. Again, I had to pull the power plug. The other time I paused live TV, and it stayed stuck there. So I see no real pattern to these issues/

I will call Tivo tomorrow to try and trouble shoot if this is a hardware problem or a software one. I can still return or exchange it to Best Buy for another 3 1/2 weeks.

Edited to add: After reading more, I guess it is the remote locking up, not the actual Premeire. And yes I have the stupid TA hooked up with Cablevision. I see a report that the slide remote may work during these freeze ups. I will have to try that; I have loads of remotes, and none worked, but I did not have that one hooked up, because the keyboard on it no longer responds........ but I will try it!