New Tivo Owner Q's

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JonUrban, Dec 25, 2015.

1. JonUrban

JonUrban New Member

Dec 25, 2015

Advertisements

Hello all. Sorry to jump in with so many questions, but I looked around and haven't found every answer (although I am sure they are here somewhere)

First off, I just got a Roamio Pro and it's hooked up with my Charter Cable. After watching the Charter tech fumble around for over 4 hours, I got the thing working after he left. Unfortunately, I have to have this "Tuning Adatper" thing to make it work with Charter. I was hoping not to have any cable company boxes around, but I guess that's life.

So my questions are:

1) Right now I have the output of the tuning adapter (coax) feeding into the TiVo. I read that this will not allow a Mini to be put in the house because the MoCA will not pass through a Tuning Adapter. Is this correct?

2) The cable from the street comes into my house and goes directly into a Channel Plus DA-506BID Bi-Directional 1x6 coax splitter/amp for cable systems. One output goes directly to my cable modem, another to the Tuning Adapter, and the others to other TV's in the house.

Should I feed the TiVo directly to an output on this amp and take another output of the amp directly into the TA? Will that work better when I try and set up a Mini?

3) If I do that, and activate the MoCA function in the Roamio Pro, does that interfere at all with my Cable Modem?

4) I purchased a Mini and a MoCA filter. If I put the MoCA filter at the point where the cable from the street enters the splitter/amp, will that mess up my cable modem or anything else in the system? Is there a lot of signal loss through this filter?

4a) What happens if I don't use the MoCA filter?

Sorry for the load of questions, but I am not familiar with MoCA and Tuning adapters. I have had satellite for years and am just now coming back to cable because the trees are walling me in.

My nephew is a big TiVo fan and he got me to make the jump.

Merry Christmas to all (or whatever your holiday may be), and thanks a bunch in advance to anyone who responds with answers. It will be appreciated.

:-jon

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    1. Correct. It's best to use a splitter, with one leg feeding the TA and the other feeding the Roamio directly. (With the TA's USB cable connecting to the Roamio.)

2. The coax setup just mentioned should work fine, but the amp may not work with MoCA as the pass-through frequency is rated too low (under 1000MHz). You can try it, but if it doesn't work a moca-compatible amp may be necessary.

3. It shouldn't interfere with the modem, but if it does an extra POE filter can be added to the back of the modem to resolve the problem ($5 on ebay). Additionally, sometimes moca causes interference with Tuning Adapters. A POE filter on the back of the TA fixes that too.

4. That's the correct location and it shouldn't cause problems.

4a. Your moca signal could leak outside your home, which is a theoretical security issue. It can also cause interference with neighbors. Using it also helps keep your moca signal stronger.

Merry Christmas :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    The amp you mention does not mention MoCA capability in it's specs anywhere, so I am about 99% certain that it will not pass the MoCA frequencies. If you find that is the case and you need an amp, the least expensive MoCA friendly amps I have found are these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPC-Entry-s...813747?hash=item1a0b204473:g:8ccAAOSwFGNWS6wp
    But only the "blue" label ones, the "red" are older non-MoCA ones.
    If you get one put a 75 Ohm F-type terminator on any unused ports.
    Do get and use MoCA POE / Whole Home DVR filters. One on the input to the amp, one on the splitter leg feeding the TA, and possibly one on your cable modem if it does not have one builtin. AFAIK the only cable modems with filters builtin are the Arris/ Motorola SB6xxx series.
    Filters are cheapest on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-MoCA-PPC-...222379?hash=item33a1b36bab:g:je4AAOSwqu9VPXjB

4. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    Short but quick answer to #2 is remove amp and throw it in the garbage as it is bandwidth limited.

Specs:
    •54 MHz to 806 MHz forward bandwidth

•5 MHz to 42 MHz reverse bandwidth

•1 dB nominal gain on "short" TV outputs

•4 dB nominal gain on "long" TV outputs

•±1.5 dB gain flatness

•Maximum input level 20 dBmv

•6.3" W x 1.25" H x 4.5 D"

This amp only works up to RF channel 125. Most modern cable systems are either 865Mhz (135 RF channels) or 1Ghz (158 RF channels) so it will not pass the last 19 or 30 RF channels.
    The next point is why the need for an amp? Your signal should be around 13 to 15dB hot at your demarc box and if not then you need to get Charter out to fix what is wrong.
    If your signal is in spec then the only thing you are doing with the amp is over powering your signal and adding noise to it. Also you maybe introducing tilt in your signal as amps have a tendency to amplify the lower frequency channels while attenuating the upper frequency channels.

It would be best if you have Charter come out and verify what your signal quality is coming into your home. This removes any guessing and future trouble with your signal.

5. JonUrban

JonUrban New Member

Dec 25, 2015

Advertisements

Wow. Thanks to everyone for all of the responses.

Well, I guess the amp goes! I originally installed it because I was afraid that splitting the cable signal coming into the house would degrade the signal since there are 8 rooms in the house with cable connectors and 6 currently have TV's on them. (My how times have changed!)

My Tivo presently shows that my cable signal strength is 97. Is there a decent 1-in, 8-out splitter out there? Or should I split the signal into 2, send one directly to the cable modem, then split the second output to another splitter?

I was always of the impression that using a distribution amplifier was better than splitting a signal every which way.

I guess I do not really understand what kind of signal loss you get from a splitter.

Anyway THANKS A TON to you all for the responses.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    With that many cable outlets you may need to do some amplification before or after some splitters.

Do you need all of those 8 cable runs to carry the MoCA signal?

7. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    If it turns out that you need an amplifier, it needs to be one that is MoCA compatible.

Splitters are pretty simple, with an 8-way splitter you get about one eighth of the RF power sent to each output port. That is a rough number, because splitters always absorb some RF power while doing the splitting. An 8-way splitter will actually have about 10.5dB loss, which means that signal strength at any of the 8 outputs is about 1/11.2 of the input power, because the splitter absorbs about 29% of the RF power as signal pass through.

8. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    It's irrelevant whether MoCA will pass through the tuning adapter. Charter instructions recommend the install be done the way BigJimOutlaw recommends.

For illustration purposes ignore the other 7 cable feeds.

Cable in from street to the Splitter (in.)
    Then one splitter out goes to the TiVo cable in and one splitter out goes to the tuning adapter cable (RF) in.

The USB cable goes connects the tuning adapter to your TiVo.

Also, you *only* need the tuning adapter for SDV channels. Right now Charter has very few of these. I haven't been able to get an accurate list, but so far I haven't found any channels that I want to watch that need it.

So technically you probably don't need it.

If it's a big deal I would suggest running without the TA till you come across a channel you want to watch

You may/will on occasion get a nag screen about the missing TA, but that can be dismissed.