New Tivo on the way, just a few questions...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Sean42, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1 of 10
    Sean42

Sean42 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Superior, WI
    Hi all. New to the forums. I have been using a d*tv tivo based r10 for a few years now. Have been happy with it, but very jealous of my buddy who has a S2DT and all the fun features I missed out on. Finally taking the dive on a full TivoHD (UPS should deliver it tomorrow), but I know Tivo2Go is not running on these units yet. I am planning on building a media server in my home with an older computer I have on hand. Will I be able to serve video to the TivoHD from this media server? I have read about people doing this with the S2 tivos but I did not see any info on the TivoHD. If it is possible, what software would you recommend? I was planning on running windows 2000 on the server. Thanks a bunch .

2. Oct 4, 2007 #2 of 10
    pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Nope. The ability to move video to the TiVo is tied into the TiVo2Go code.

3. Oct 4, 2007 #3 of 10
    illc0mm

illc0mm New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Sean,

That capability is not there yet, but it should be in November.

For my Series 2 I currently use pyTivo on Linux, which works perfect. It automatically transcodes just about any video file into the format the TiVO requires. I highly recommend it.

-illc0mm

4. Oct 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    Sean42

Sean42 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Superior, WI
    That is unfortunate. I still have to build the server and run the cat5 anyway, so a months wait isn't all that bad. when I was digging around on tivo's site i saw you can do this with your mp3s, so i figured it was worth a shot. Does the tivocast feature work with the tivohd? also, what resolutions are people getting the tivo unbox downloads at? thanks again.

5. Oct 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    jtlytle

jtlytle Un-Registered User

May 17, 2005
    Sacramento,...
    Sean, By the way, WELCOME to the TCF!

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 10
    rodbac

rodbac New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    I hope I'm not bumping too old a thread, but this seemed to be a relevant topic to my question:

Is the ability to transfer shows from one Tivo to another (across my network) also tied to the Tivo2Go functionality? IOW, I desperately want to buy a Tivo HD, but the wife acceptance drops to 0 of she can't get shows off the upstairs (my) Tivo from the downstairs one (hers).

Thanks for any clarification...

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 10
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Yes Multi-Room-Viewing (MRV) is in the same Nov release. Of course, HD content won't transfer to a S2.

8. Oct 9, 2007 #8 of 10
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    The real question will be what WILL transfer between any of the boxes. I have a suspicion that anything flagged CCI '02' wont transfer. For me that will mean no digital cable at all (except local broadcaster DTV).

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 10
    demon

demon BURNINATOR

Nov 15, 2006
    Western SD
    That's what the general understanding is from what Pony said; however, the CCI flags will vary depending on the provider. My current provider doesn't have *ANY* channels flagged as CCI 0x02 - not even HBOHD (yes, really - and no, I'm not going to tell them about it ;) ). If you're lucky, you might have a cableco that does the same. Maybe.

10. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    TWC Cary flags ALL digital CCI 0x02.....