New TiVo Mini setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Tipperton, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017

Advertisements

Hi!

I am a blind TiVo user and I just picked up a TiVo Mini, not the Vox or Lux versions, and I have some questions.

1. Apparently this version of the Mini doesn't have built in WiFi and so requires a physical ethernet connection. Would the USB WiFi adapter work? I am not going to even attempt to run ethernet cable from my network in my home office and living room to my bedroom.

2. Since I am blind, I don't need to hook up a TV to the Mini, but do need to hook up a speaker of some kind. Preferably one that the TiVo Mini's remote can control. I would rather not have to get another sound bar like the Bose Solo 5 I have in the living room, the bedroom doesn't need anything so fancy.

Thanks!

2. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I don't know if the TiVo WiFi adapter will work with the Mini you have but there are three other options. If you have coax in the bedroom that goes back to a point common to the coax from the TiVo, you can use MoCa which is built into the Mini and newer models of the TiVo itself. Another option (probably the easiest and cheapest) is to use a device like a TP-Link AC750 WiFi Extender (RE220) or similar Wireless Access Point. That plugs into an outlet like a wall wart and has an Ethernet port that uses your WiFi to your router. A third option if the WiFi in your bedroom isn't great, is to use a TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter(TL-PA4010 KIT) or similar. That uses your electrical wiring to send Ethernet from your router anyplace in your home. It uses two wall wart like devices, one plugged into your router and the other in your bedroom. I use the TP-Link devices as examples but there are many other brands as well.

As for the speakers, I'll defer to someone with more experience.

Tipperton likes this.
  3. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Wow! I hadn't thought that there'd be ethernet extenders that use existing wiring for AC. That sounds like the way to go for me. Thank you!

I ordered a set of A/V cables for the Mini so I can hook up an analog speaker. For now I'll use a small 7" screen I bought for those times when a screen is needed. It supports HDMI and has built-in audio, it's not the best solution but it is a start.

This screen is sold as a add on screen for those people installing a rear seat entertainment system in their car or are installing a backup camera. It works great as a small, temporary use, inexpensive (only $45) monitor.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    MoCA (coax) would be better if you have the coax outlets available.

5. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017

Advertisements

Unfortunately, the only coax outlets in my entire apartment are in the living room which is on the opposite end of the apartment from the bed room. So I don't want to have to try to get coax into the bed room.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, certainly, thus the caveat...

7. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    I also have this question: Is it necessary to share a tuner on the DVR if I am not interested in viewing live TV in the bed room with the Mini?

Or to put it another way, will I be able to play recorded shows on the DVR with the Mini even if I don't share any of my Bolt's tuners?

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Technically, you never share a tuner. A Mini can own a tuner when watching live TV. The tuner is released when you are watching a recording, sitting at TiVo Central or the Mini is in Standby. It will also release the tuner if the remote is not used for four hours.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    One caveat being... if the Mini is NOT put into Standby mode, an EAS alert will cause the Mini to grab a tuner, broadcast the alert, and then begin playing live TV.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    There is a Tivo branded wireless bridge that you can find on ebay.

11. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Are you saying that the Mini will grab a tuner when it needs one regardless of whether I have shared any or not?

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, but also that there is no such thing as "sharing a tuner." You assign a Mini a host DVR, and the Mini will then be allocated a tuner whenever it needs* one, if a tuner is available.

*per above rules (here, here)

13. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    OK, so you assign a DVR to a Mini and then the Mini can grab tuners and recordings from the DVR as needed, that makes sense.

But who wins when the DVR and the Mini both want the same tuner?

(Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know what to expect behavior wise, it makes things easier when you can't see the screen and the screen reader doesn't give you access to everything on the screen.)

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Unless you have a two-tuner TiVo (no Mini tuner support), the Mini will get the tuner which has been idle the longest. You really have little control over which tuner will be used by the Mini. Or, in other words, what you ask doesn't happen.

15. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    OK, that's understandable, thanks!

One last question: If the Mini has taken ownership of a tuner and then later while the Mini still owns the tuner, if the DVR needs the tuner to record a movie or show, will the Mini release the tuner to the DVR?

Thanks!

PS: I found a brand new TL-PA4010 KIT on eBay for around $25, Amazon had it too but was asking almost $38 for it, eBay wins!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, if you're watching live TV on the Mini and the DVR needs the tuner for recording, a dialog will pop-up effectively asking if it's OK to drop the live TV connection in favor of the recording, or to cancel the scheduled recording. (I say "effectively" because I don't recall the exact words and am going off vague memory, rather than testing it.)

If you try to watch live TV on the Mini but the tuners are all already in-use by the DVR, the request will be denied.

p.s. 2-tuner EDGE DVRs can be used as host DVRs for Minis, including watching live TV. 2-tuner Premieres are still banned from assignment as a Mini host DVR, though their recorded/recording content can be streamed to a Mini.

JoeKustra likes this.
  17. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Thanks! That answers my questions for now. Now I have to wait for the power line ethernet link to get. here (about a week)

I will still be listening in hopes that somebody might know of a speaker other than a sound bar that can be controlled by the Mini's remote. If the sound bar is my only option, I will go that way, but I'd rather not spend that much money on the Mini set up.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  18. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Well I'm back but unfortunately I seem to have a problem.

First my set up:
    I have a 1TB Bolt with 4 tuners in the living room and a Mini in the bedroom. The Bolt is wired to my home network via an ethernet cable, and the Mini is connected to the network using a TP-link AC750 WiFi extender. I would have preferred to use a PA4010 power line ethernet adapter but the two outlets were not on the same circuit so the two adapters couldn't connect to each other.

After hooking everything up and powering on the Mini, all I got was a display of the TiVo logo, then a message from the display saying that there was no signal, then nothing...

Any ideas what could be wrong? I hope I didn't end up with yet another defective Mini. This would be the second one.

Thanks!

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Hopefully not defective, but one hope is that pressing the little white button on the bottom of the Mini could resolve a resolution glitch. You may also want to try other HDMI cables (making the assumption that you're using HDMI, though not stated).

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003