New Tivo Mini Lux install issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Ben Smith, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Apr 5, 2021 #1 of 16
    Ben Smith

Ben Smith New Member

Apr 5, 2021

Advertisements

Is it correct that in order to use a Tivo Mini Lux your TIVO Edge must be wired directly to your internet(modem)? Installer said you cannot use a mini if your Edge is connected wirelessly to your internet. If this is the case and my modem is in another room from the Edge then would I use the
    Tivo Bridge Plus MOCA devise. To do this I assume, since I only have once cable input coming into this room, I would have to split it. One line going to the TIVO input and one going to the MOCA devise to achieve the directl internet connection. This is all very complicated. Is any of the above correct?

2. Apr 5, 2021 #2 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That’s what is officially required, but the devices don’t perform any verification test ... so it really comes down to the quality of the wireless connection. You can try it ... then go the wired route if wireless falls short.

As for MoCA, it depends on what you’re using for your modem and router, and your specific EDGE model ... “for Cable” or “for Antenna.” And is your Mini LUX wired or have a coax outlet available nearby?

EDGE for Cable and all Mini’s have built-in MoCA connectivity, while the EDGE for Antenna would require a standalone MoCA adapter to establish a MoCA connection on its behalf.

Of course, getting the TiVo boxes connected via MoCA requires a MoCA bridge linked to the router LAN, either built-in to a combo modem/router (aka gateway) or a standalone MoCA adapter connected to a LAN port on the router and the shared coax ... and MoCA-compatible components connecting the associated coax lines, plus a “PoE” MoCA filter installed to secure the MoCA network inside the home.

edge: p.s. So, an EDGE for Cable setup might look something similar to the following (w/ the EDGE box in place of the BOLT pictured, and the pictured switch entirely optional)...

MoCA - simple cable setup.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  3. Apr 5, 2021 #3 of 16
    Ben Smith

Ben Smith New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    Set up is an Edge Cable and a Mini Lux that does have a cable coax outlet available.

4. Apr 5, 2021 #4 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok, so then you just need what is effectively a MoCA access point, a MoCA/Ethernet bridge at your router that would provide your EDGE and Mini a path to the router LAN and Internet.

So what are you using for your modem and router? And who is your Internet provider? (to determine whether you have a built-in MoCA bridge that could be enabled)

5. Apr 5, 2021 #5 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

If you don’t have a built-in MoCA bridge, you’ll need a MoCA adapter, but I’d recommend grabbing a goCoax WF-803M MoCA 2.5 adapter, given the bump in spec at a $20 discount to the TiVo Bridge Plus.

That said, if you have no thoughts for using MoCA beyond linking your TiVo boxes, you only need a standard MoCA 2.0 adapter to match the MoCA spec of the EDGE and Mini LUX boxes ... and you may be able to make that happen on a budget. (see here for a range of adapter options)

6. Apr 5, 2021 #6 of 16
    Ben Smith

Ben Smith New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    I will be using Spectrum. They use a single unit router/modem. So is the goCoax WF-803M MoCA 2.5 adapter the same thing as the Tivo Bridge + MoCA 2.0 adapter? I have no thoughts for using MoCA except for the two TIVO units. (Edge & Mini). How does it work: The coax cable from Spectrum comes out of the router/modem then into the MoCA adapter and out of the adapter into the Tivo Edge. Then in the room with the Mini - I would need to use a 2nd MoCA adapter. The cable from the wall outlet goes into the MoCA adapter and out into the Mini. Is that correct? Then I also have to be able to connect the internet from the cable box to the Edge. Then I could use the Tivo Wifi 5 USB adapter on the mini to connect wireless to the Edge?? By the way I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

7. Apr 5, 2021 #7 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Wait a minute. Is the EDGE in the same location as the Spectrum gateway (modem/router)? And could you connect the EDGE via Ethernet to a LAN port on the router?

I’ve been assuming the EDGE couldn’t be connected to the router given the thread started with a wireless discussion.

8. Apr 5, 2021 #8 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No. Per earlier comment:
    The Mini can be connected directly to the wall outlet, and then configured as a MoCA client — once the main MoCA bridge has been set up.

9. Apr 5, 2021 #9 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If this means “connect the EDGE via Ethernet to a LAN port on the Spectrum gateway” ... then absolutely, yes, and you won’t need any MoCA adapters, as the EDGE for Cable is a TiVo DVR that supports MoCA bridging, not just MoCA connectivity.

With the EDGE connected via Ethernet to the gateway, and verified to be working (able to make a TiVo service connection), you could simply then configure the EDGE as a MoCA bridge. (Enable MoCA and select “as Bridge”)

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    When all is said and done, both your TiVo boxes will have wired network connections ... so no need for such a wireless adapter at all.

11. Ben Smith

Ben Smith New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    TDL, I think we are getting close. So the Edge box is connected via Ethernet to a LAN port on the Spectrum modem/router and the Spectrum cable is connected to the Edge. Once that is verified as a good connection and we set up the MoCa bridge THEN is all that is required on the Mini is the cable from the outlet in the other room to be connected to the Mini and everything is set up for MoCA. Does this mean I don't have to have a separate internet connection to the mini? Just the single Spectrum cable from the wall outlet?

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct, the coax line to the Mini supplies the Mini's network connection. That's MoCA.

One thing you'll still need to do, even if/when the Mini successfully connects via MoCA ... and that is get a "PoE" MoCA filter installed, to secure your MoCA network to your home coax lines.

Your setup should end up similar to the following...

DVR MoCA bridge.png

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... but a few hurdles may still remain:
    * the question of whether the Mini location's coax wall outlet connects to the modem location's coax wall outlet;
    * being a Spectrum customer, there's been zero mention of Switched Digital Video (SDV) tuning adapters, typically required for a Spectrum CableCARD setup. If a tuning adapter is in use in a MoCA setup, the EDGE must not be connected to the coax via the tuning adapter's pass-through coax port, owing to this port severely attenuating MoCA signals. The TA and EDGE must be connected via a splitter. So, you'd end up w/ a solution similar to the following:

DVR MoCA bridge w tuning adapter.png
    (MoCA filters may need to be added to the gateway or tuning adapter if either device is found to be unstable when the MoCA network is operational. The MoCA filter at the cable signal point-of-entry is required, regardless.)​

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TDL?

15. Ben Smith

Ben Smith New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    TDL? On your profile it shows TDL shepherd. right underneath krkaufman. Thanks for all your help.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, chuckle. "To Do List" was one interpretation of the acronym I'd pondered but couldn’t figure out the context as a salutation. Thanks for clearing that up!

Everything working, then...?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021