New TiVo Mini imminent?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by dmurphy, Sep 21, 2017.

1. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    Just tried to pick up some a Minis from Best Buy and they are saying it’s a discontinued part number ... is the 4K Mini right around the corner? I hope so!!

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
  3. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    Just surprised they’d discontinue the existing before launching the new one. Hoping it’s imminent and not “end of year”... now I have to make a decision to either go to Amazon or try to hold out for the 4K...

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Reeber

Reeber New Member

Sep 24, 2014
    "Voice remote"... great another device in the house listening to you, selling your information.

5. Eldragun

Eldragun Member

Feb 3, 2016
    There's pics of the new one, but no street date

6. Anon1

Anon1 New Member

Sep 26, 2017
    It would be nice if it's soon. I may be buying a Mini, anyway.

7. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    A lot of companies announce new products at the end of September or early October just in time for Best Buy's shelf reset for the holiday sales.

Not a guarantee Tivo will do it this time, but they have in the past.

Nickipedia and Mikeguy like this.
  8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Do voice remotes listen before you press some activate button?

9. Oct 5, 2017 #9 of 53
    Reeber

Reeber New Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Samsung admits their smart tv's listen all the time by default unless you manually switch a setting, .Most smart phone apps request access to your phones mic, gps and camera roll even simple flashlight apps. I just don't trust anything with a microphone on it which is connected to the internet. Your daily habits are worth too much money to advertisers.

10. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Where do you find the setting to turn off the microphone?

11. jim2011

jim2011 New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Just moved into my new apartment and was about to buy a tivo mini for my new bedroom 4K HDR tv before I saw this thread. Thoughts on how soon the mini 4k will be out or at least announced? It seems like the only place to buy a mini right now is through tivo.com or eBay at full price. I'm torn on whether I should wait.

12. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Since supplies of Bolt are diminishing and going on clearance as well, I'd GUESS they're still planning to do something with "Bolt Vox" and "Mini Vox" models pretty soon for the holiday.

krkaufman and Mikeguy like this.
  13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm guessing--yet this month or next, for the aforementioned holidays.

14. jim2011

jim2011 New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Thanks for the replies! I'll wait.

15. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I am going to say very soon. The Bolt Vox has been spotted at Best Buy so we are getting close

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  17. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004

Attached Files:

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Boy, Best Buy sure is doing a great job of "leaking" the new Bolt Vox components, before TiVo even announces them! First putting a Bolt Vox out on the floor, and now listing the Mini Vox at the Best Buy/Magnolia website. Now it just needs to show the separate sale of the Vox remote accessory. :)

19. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    So, this looks like it is identical to the Arris Mi4 model which was released in July, I think? Possibly the first concrete step in the hardware divorce where the retail product is simply a re-release of an existing MVPD product.

Edit: Just realized that @BigJimOutlaw already noted the similarity back in August.

20. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    I don't see this as a negative thing in any way, shape or form. Why not outsource the boxes? Doesn't make sense to stay in the manufacturing business. Arris's cost to manufacture will be a whole lot lower due to the volume they pump out... supply chain can be really squeezed, where TiVo standalone doesn't have the volume.

Takes us right back to where we started -- back in the days of Sony, Philips, Hughes etc boxes... GXCEBOT forever!