New TiVo Interface?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by hoyty, Sep 27, 2008.

1. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA

Advertisements

Original Post from 9/27/2008 back up at my blog.

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  3. techieunite

techieunite New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I saw this and just thought "so what".

Most people use tivo for one reason.

It records the shows that they like. I don't think the gui really has that much to do with this basic functionality.

If you have chosen Tivo, you have chosen to live with the Tivo Gui.

If you choose your Cable/Satellite provider, then you have chosen whatever GUI they have on their equipment.

Would anybody really care about which Gui they have on their Tivo?

I'm thinking and "hoping" that if Tivo does offer this, that they at least allow us to turn off these extra features.

Case in point.

My Mom who is in her late 40's, my Grandma, and my little brother can walk up to a Tivo and start using it. The remote and screen layout is amazingly simple and easy to use.

Start adding extra pictures and options that aren't needed are only going to confuse users.

I hope that they never release this monstrosity without at least offering me the ability to switch back to the "classic" tivo look.

4. xboard07

xboard07 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Tivo GUI could use an update.

5. Crrink

Crrink Active Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

Nice looking interface IMO. Taking advantage of the widescreen tv it looks like they found a way to offer all the same menu options, plus some art, and still make it look less cluttered - though there aren't any yellow star ads in your picture :)

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Interesting.

But I vote no. Adding a bunch of stills and cover images makes it more colorful, but not more useful, IMHO.

I do think they managed to retain some TiVo-ness in the look, despite the radical differences.

7. Hew

Hew New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    If this is the new interface it looks great. The only thing thats missing is the TiVo guy. I hope that this will be out sooner then later.

This has to be a hardware upgrade too, right? You can't just do a software upgrade on a TiVoHD and have menu's move that quickly, along with PIP.

The other cool thing about the video is that it shows who you can rent movies and shows from. The list includes, Amazonunbox, Netflix, Blockbuster, and more. It included pricing and had the best priced selected movie on top of the list. Which means that those companies have strong competition which will hopefully drop prices on movies and relax the 24 hour timer for movie rentals.

Looks like TiVo has been doing their homework, their UI has been getting cluttered lately. Can't wait to find out when(if) it will go on sale.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    That is not PIP, that is PIG [picture in guide where the one playing picture is squeezed into the corner, and the overlay graphics applied over it, as opposed to one playing video playing scaled in the corner, over another video stream] (I hate it when people get that confused). In any case, it requires the video decoder chip support the necessary scaling, or it be done in software (which current TiVos are incapable of).

9. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    This looks fantastic. Please TiVo let this be your new GUI!!!

10. mikea128

mikea128 New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I really really really really like it. It takes advantage of widescreen HDTV's very well, the picture in guide is a huge missing feature from the current GUI IMO. It also looks like it's more cohesive with all the misc stuff TiVo has tacked on over the years. Additionally, it looks less like it's a crappy SD interface and more like a proper HD one. Hopefully it's at least as responsive if they really deploy it though.

I'm no holding my breath on this one however.

11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yeah, I don't know if the PiP (or PiG) could work on current TiVos. The rest is doable on S3/HD, though. (You could do it right now via HME.)

I finally looked at the videos, and I like it better now. I'm still not sure, though.

12. adbjester

adbjester New Member

Nov 30, 2003
    LD;O.

I switched from 12 YEARS of DirecTV service to Comcast, because DTV had (at the time) ceased dealing with TiVo, and forced me to their heinous in-house interface.

It wasn't the functionality. It wasn't even the uber-cool S3 features I've come to love. It was the ease of use of the GUI, period.

If it didn't look like TiVo, it wouldn't *be* TiVo.

Jester

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Absolutely hate it. It looks like a bunch of spam everywhere on the screen and just more opportunity to throw ads and other unwanted crap it in your face and slow the system down even more and make for huge downloads of data aside from basic listings. No thanks.

14. Hew

Hew New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    How could you not like the potential new UI? Look at the video's, there is NO load delays from menu to menu. If this thing is real and comes out soon I would be one of the first to get it. This UI upgrade must have been in developement now for years, and looks to be in response to the competition from Windows Media Player, Moxi, and all the other DVR's with sleak interfaces.

Only if we knew when or if this would ever be released.

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I'm probably in the minority but UI doesn't concern me anywhere as much as real functional improvements such as (just to name a few):
    * co-operative scheduling (ability to manage scheduling and conflict management automatically using your whole set of Tivos)
    * ability to load from and save to a computer your season pass & wishlists setups
    * ability to delete shows on any Tivo from another Tivo (really part of the co-operative scheduling ability)
    * better navigation controls (jump arbitrary n-minutes forwards/back or to any specific time)
    * official support for video streaming (beyond simply YouTube but for any video located anywhere) and a much wider array of video formats
    * Tru2way

16. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Look at the videos on amazon for the current TiVoHD - no delays there - no please wait's (and no ads). Wonders can be done with good video editing.

17. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    The thing that amazed me was that they showed viewer tagging for shows in the new GUI.

18. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    If it not broke no need to fix. The present guide works great. They are no need to fix or replace it.

19. Lazlo123

Lazlo123 New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    It looks like there are certain features that would be good... but if I had the choice of all or nothing, I'd keep the current GUI.

20. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I haven't watched the videos, but I love that there are direct links to movies and downloads on the "TiVo Central" screenshot in the OP. That's pretty much all I think they really need to change.