New Tivo Interface: Tivo UX

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rick123, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Sep 9, 2016 #1 of 230
    rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004

Advertisements

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tivo-introduces-next-gen-user-070000827.html

Saw this story this morning. Anyone have an idea when this may start rolling out? Sounds like a win for us Tivo users if it's all they describe and actually works...

2. Sep 9, 2016 #2 of 230
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'll be interested to see the visual changes, and the customizable shortcuts might be promising. The other items sound like a bunch of over-hyped marketing speak.

3. Sep 9, 2016 #3 of 230
    mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Wow, now this looks nice!

4. Sep 9, 2016 #4 of 230
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Features of the new TiVo UX:

• Visually rich, appealing interface – With a superior new and modern visual display, the new UX puts content front and center, so that users can easily identify what they want to watch.

• Predictions – Beyond traditional recommendations, TiVo’s innovative new Prediction technology takes a user’s actual viewing habits and predicts the shows they most likely want to watch at that moment.
      Fast access to content – The new experience makes accessing content faster than ever. From Predictions to Recent Activity to What to Watch, TiVo minimizes clicks to content.

• Content from multiple sources –TiVo’s UX was designed to accommodate multiple content sources, delivering users abundant entertainment choices from linear, on demand, and streaming apps.

• Personalization features – The entire experience is personalized,
      from recommendations to predictions, TiVo uses past viewing behavior to direct the user to the content they are most likely to enjoy.

• Customizable shortcuts – Users now have more control over their viewing experience with customizable shortcuts on the Home screen and the ability to favorite the apps they most frequently visit, giving them quick access to their content across platforms and providers.

Personalization features: it sounds like profiles may actually be part of the conversation.

5. Sep 9, 2016 #5 of 230
    thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia

Advertisements

What looks nice? I don't see any pictures on the article. Just words.

The showcase seems to be this week. When it is going to be available for customers, and to which TiVo devices, is just a guess.

6. Sep 9, 2016 #6 of 230
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That'd be great, but I won't be holding my breath. It's just as likely that they're doing all this under the painfully flawed one-device/one-user approach they've stuck with for nearly 2 decades. They consider the current "watch progress" bars to be personalization, even though they're practically useless in a multi-viewer home.

p.s. I'm ready with my checklist if/when the new UX rolls-out.

7. Sep 9, 2016 #7 of 230
    Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I wonder what platforms this will reach, I'm assuming the Bolt and Roamio but most likely not the premiere.

Also will the Roamio and Bolt end up with the same user interface? there are slight differences in the menus and text colors..

I guess time will tell

-TL

8. Sep 9, 2016 #8 of 230
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Hard to say, TiVo does not like to maintain different code sets so if they plan on continuing to update the Premiere line with functionality it will get the update, if they plan on deprecating the line all together it will not.

I think it has about a 60/40 chance of being updated.

9. Sep 9, 2016 #9 of 230
    FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex Member

May 7, 2014
    Oh, woe is the day that my Roamio moves to a horizontal tile ux for my recordings like the Dish Hopper uses, and God forbid this applies to the guide. My brain processes vertical text lists so much more efficiently than horizontal (left/right) pictures. Hope we have an option for vertical list view if this ux is destined for roamio/bolts.

10. Sep 9, 2016 #10 of 230
  11. Sep 9, 2016 #11 of 230
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Sigh. Amazon with much more experience and lots bigger computers still insists on putting infinite amounts of utter junk I'd never want on the home page when I connect to amazon.com. I can just imagine exactly how wonderful this innovative predictive technology will be from a company that can't even get factual data right, like TV schedule information.

12. Sep 9, 2016 #12 of 230
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
  13. Sep 9, 2016 #13 of 230
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Hmm. TiVo's description of what the new UI/UX is sounds pretty good but I'm not impressed by that single screenshot over at The Verge. Hopefully we'll get a full unveiling of it next week at CEDIA. Will have to reserve judgment until then.

Does everyone assume this will come to the Roamio? I know major software updates have typically been extended back at least one generation before the current one. Still though, the Bolt was introduced with a slightly different UI than the Roamio and TiVo stated that those tweaks wouldn't roll back to the Roamio and they haven't. Now that they're introducing the Bolt+ and can fully make Series 6 the current generation of retail TiVos by retiring the Roamio Pro, perhaps they'll want to further differentiate Series 6 from earlier models by making the new UI exclusive to it.

Hopefully they'll reveal their plans about that next week.

14. Sep 9, 2016 #14 of 230
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It's a full screen Discovery Bar. Ugh.

If it's customizable, fine, but like you, the predictions of what appears in the Discovery Bar are never what I want to do and I've wanted a way to turn it off ever since it was introduced. Oh well.

15. Sep 9, 2016 #15 of 230
    Welshdog

Welshdog Tivo this, punk!

Jan 3, 2005
  16. Sep 9, 2016 #16 of 230
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Maybe this new UI won't be rolled out to retail TiVo devices at all. Maybe it's just part of what TiVo is trying to sell to MSOs to put on their own boxes?

I didn't realize until just now that they're not waiting until CEDIA next week to fully unveil the new UI, they're doing it now at IBC, the International Broadcasting Convention going on in Amsterdam. Seems less like a retail-oriented showcase than one targeting industry insiders.

17. Sep 9, 2016 #17 of 230
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm hoping this is coming to Premiere, Roamio, and Bolt, as it is finally the excuse as to never finishing the HD interface. So long as this is 100% a HD interface.

18. Sep 9, 2016 #18 of 230
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Oh lord... This board forum going to go nuts!

This one image isn't enough to make an opinion on and for all we know this is the user interface for the new network dvr...

Interesting though

[​IMG]

19. Sep 9, 2016 #19 of 230
    sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not one to overreact, but I'm going to with this. No. No. 1,000 times no. All I ask is they please leave me the option to keep things looking as-is.

20. Sep 9, 2016 #20 of 230
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yup, I disable everything in the Discovery Bar except 'My Shows' -- and still end-up with noise up there from time to time. The thing is, like with many features on modern TiVos, without user profiles the features are rendered mostly useless, since they aren't customized to a given viewer's history or preferences. (Putting aside the fact that some people just don't want the additional clutter, or the noise of what TiVo thinks they might want to watch.)