New TiVo Interactive ads launch.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dylanemcgregor, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Jul 18, 2005 #1 of 218
    dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...

Advertisements

I thought I would start a new thread with the Press Releae in the first post, so that when the masses start coming here complaining, at least they will have the official statement from TiVo right at the top.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050718/sfm008.html?.v=14

2. Jul 18, 2005 #2 of 218
    filburt1

filburt1 Custom User Title:

Apr 23, 2005
    I will be the first of what I believe will be more than one post that I would consider cancelling my TiVo service if they start pushing ads, no matter how subtle, during recorded content. Is there any likely way to forcibly opt-out of such advertisements, whether it be complaining to a CSR or other official means?

3. Jul 18, 2005 #3 of 218
    TiVoBill

TiVoBill New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    These enhanced advertising features were added back in January 2005. The press release and related stories today are about the first large users of that technology. We have an article on our support site that answers some questions that customers might have.

4. Jul 18, 2005 #4 of 218
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Point number 2 sounds basically like the "pop up" ads that TiVo was testing (hopefully they got the kinks worked out). Everything else sounds like exactly what we have today (showcase) except that it gives more control (to an extent) and more feedback to advertisers.

The only thing as far as the users are concerned is the billboard ads. So if you hate the billboards ads you'll hate this. If you don't care or like the billboard ads then you won't care about this.

5. Jul 18, 2005 #5 of 218
    d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...

Advertisements

Calling the WB Television Network a leading world brand is a bit of a stretch. But, giving that it's a news release and it's a customer of Tivo's, it's understandable posturing...

I have no problem with this type of advertising. If I like something, a tv show, or a given product, I like the idea of "opting" with my "thumbs up" so that I get more information or wish to schedule a corresponding recording. Otherwise, I'll just ignore what doesn't have relevance for me, just as I do today...

If the process turns out to be detrimental to the TiVo/DVR experience, then I'll certainly make my voice heard.

6. Jul 18, 2005 #6 of 218
    dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Exactly, I am pretty sure this is just the widespread rollout of the ads that they tested a couple of months back for The Negotiator. I too hope that the bugs are worked out, and I hope they took notice of some of the customer feedback and have made it so the ad does not appear smack dab in the middle of the screen. Other than those two things, I have no problem at all with these type of ads, and in fact I think they might be pretty cool. OMMV.

I am without TV for a couple of more months so I will not be able to see these first hand for awhile, but I would like to hear from people who do see them.

Dylan

7. Jul 18, 2005 #7 of 218
    dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I thought I would copy and paste the text of the FAQ from The TiVo website here for people who do not follow the link. Hope that is OK.

8. Jul 18, 2005 #8 of 218
    TechDreamer

TechDreamer New Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Torrance, CA
    Tivo is so lost.

Customers are wondering if Tivo is ever going to fix the broken software update (Pixellation) and this is the junk we get.

Tivo is now the new "Real Audio".

9. Jul 18, 2005 #9 of 218
    MattDing

MattDing New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Here we go again.

There goes Coffe House for the next month. :rolleyes:

This is not new. We've been there, done that.

I think this bears repeating: If you like your TiVo, then things that are good for TiVo, Inc. are good for you.

10. Jul 18, 2005 #10 of 218
    tbone526

tbone526 *Clever title here*

Dec 2, 2004
    Chicago
    I don't think this is that big a deal. We still maintain control and can FF through commercials just like we do now. But if something catches your eye, it makes it even easier to get more info.

I did a survey on this site not long ago, and a LOT of people still at least scan the commercials and stop if something interests them.

We're GAINING functionality, not losing it. It's not like we'er being tied to the couch and forced to watch commercials. (Although if you're tied to your couch, commercials are probably not foremost in your mind).

11. Jul 18, 2005 #11 of 218
    manielse

manielse New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    GAINING functionality would be to fully distibute HME on all Series 2 boxes.

I really don't care about the advertising, I'll ignore it like I ignore ads on webpages...

12. Jul 18, 2005 #12 of 218
    hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Will this apply to the series 1 Directv TiVo and the HD Directv TiVo or just stand-alone TiVo?
    I read the support page and it does not mention.

13. Jul 18, 2005 #13 of 218
    SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!!

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    Well said Matt.

From my reading, today and in the past, TiVo has made several decisions in an effort to make it beneficial to the customer (us) and the bottom line (TiVo & advertisers). So while it's not going to make everyone happy - what would? - I think the majority of people will surely be able to figure out how to make it work for them.

14. Jul 18, 2005 #14 of 218
    dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Should be coming sometime this summer to the DVD burner models, according to TiVoBill.

Dylan

15. Jul 18, 2005 #15 of 218
    manielse

manielse New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Sometime this summer would be good, end of year...bad.

16. Jul 18, 2005 #16 of 218
    jwreiner

jwreiner New Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Connecticut
    I really don't care much about the ads, and I think I understand why TiVo has implemented them. But TiVo and I definitely have different goals, and they are in conflict as least as much as they are in harmony. If TiVo could make larger profits by doubling their fees, they would (if, for example, the competitive environment they faced shifted or they had patents on DVR technology that locked out all competition)

This would not be good for us. It would be very good for their shareholders.

17. Jul 18, 2005 #17 of 218
    TiVoBill

TiVoBill New Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Still on schedule for this summer.

18. Jul 18, 2005 #18 of 218
    manielse

manielse New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    I love hearing news like that, thanks Bill. It just kills me to run both HMO and HME apps that do the same thing.....

19. Jul 18, 2005 #19 of 218
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    TiVoBill:

Is there any reason a programmer could not use this technology to implement some interactivity into its actual content? For a examples: a news program with a link to more detail on a story; a TV show with an alternate ending.

Thanks.

20. Jul 18, 2005 #20 of 218
    Vrodaire

Vrodaire New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I'm new here, and fairly new to TiVo. But here's what I see, and what I fear:

TiVo's leaning towards advertisers $'s, which symmetrically leans away from what I like most about TiVo. (I'm not forced to watch commercials yet, but it's continually getting closer) When I initially found out that owning a TiVo allowed me to watch what I wanted, when I wanted, and nothing else, I tried it (and when I found out just how good it was, I bought a 2nd unit for my office).

But I fear the campaigns and statements a few are already making, that we should feel the 'emperor is or will be wearing better, grander clothes!' when he isn't: So many are already saying "If it's good for TiVo, it's good for us!" (that's simply not true, as someone else pointed out). [personally I don't see this as good for TiVo either, but I won't claim to know that's a fact]

I saw this in a press release:

"Advertising is a substantial growth area," Sterling said. "It is not a material revenue for us yet relative to our overall revenue picture."

TiVo says TV advertisers, facing dwindling TV audiences, are anxious for new ways to reach TV watchers and insists that viewers like to watch its special ads -- despite the fact that the ability to skip commercials is one of the chief reasons that consumers buy DVRs.​

Viewers do NOT like to watch ads in general -- someone can start a poll if they like, but all the people I'm talking to are really frustrated, and fearful that the device they 'all know and luv' is about to morph into something noticably different. [we're the ones totally devoted and convincing everyone we can to get one] I'm not sure what's going on financially for the company, but if TiVo ends up with a competitor that leans more towards me than advertisers money; I'll have to watch.

Anyone else hating commercials seen in theaters now, only because they HAVE to watch them to see the movie? We don't go to movies to see commercials, and we don't buy TiVo's to see commercials -- maybe I'm just fanatical about this, but if there was a machine that automatically forwarded past commercials, I'd be interested. I'd just rather stay with TiVo who leapt out to do things right and succeeded... than leap with someone else who might be headed off a cliff.

There is that tired old cliche' "If the horse aint broke, don't fix it". I want the old horse, and I don't want to change it: Watch what I want, when I want. Please; don't head down the path that ties me back into the chair to watch what advertisers $ decree. TiVo gave us freedom, let us keep it as well.

If you're wondering what I see for TiVo as a company, I see them taking more money for advertising, and catering to it, which loses them customers, and if taken too far, will lose so many customers that advertisers won't be that interested. So then, they'll have nothing. At that point they might blame wishy-washy, unloyal customers -- I imagine both customers and the company will feel 'let down'.