New TiVo Hydra Interface In Action

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kbmb, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Feb 24, 2017 #1 of 384
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    New TiVo Hydra Interface In Action

Courtesy of the great Dave Zatz

-Kevin

2. Feb 24, 2017 #2 of 384
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yuck! Hate the space hogging images. Really hope this only goes to Bolt units and later and not Roamios and earlier.

3. Feb 24, 2017 #3 of 384
    samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    + one million

Welcome to X1?

4. Feb 24, 2017 #4 of 384
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    The numbering on the Home menu looks really bad to me. No mention of the Tivo Live Guide which we use and love vs. the grid guide.

She keeps mentioning operators - wonder if this is intended for retail boxes at all? Seems Tivo's future is getting operator deals. Not sure how well that will go since I can't see any of the top tier cable companies using this.

-Kevin

jmilender likes this.
  5. Feb 24, 2017 #5 of 384
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    That is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!! Bad Rovi just goes from bad, to Bad, to REALLY BAD, to making me sick.

6. Feb 24, 2017 #6 of 384
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm mildly amused by all the efforts at integrating some predictive engine for identifying what I want to watch or might be interested in, while failing to simply provide a mechanism for me to specify what subset of content that I, as one of many individual viewers/users of our TiVo boxes, am interested in, or any ability to track what content *I* have watched.

rifleman69 likes this.
  7. Feb 24, 2017 #7 of 384
    B Smooth

B Smooth Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Mckinney,TX,USA
    I actually think the new interface looks good. I think we really need to see it actually working on our homes to decide.

One of the issues with personalization on Tivo is we have 4 people with really different taste watching. I don't ever watch to see the movies my 10 year old watches on the ribbon. Nor do i want to see the reality TV shows that my wife might watch. Without the system knowing who specifically is watching, its really not usefull. I also never use the grid. We use the guide 100% of the time...Some of the other changes look pretty cool though....

aaronwt, krkaufman and Mikeguy like this.
  8. Feb 24, 2017 #8 of 384
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Interesting. I wonder if the Rovi data will be fixed for this. Watcha' say, Margret? ;)

I actually find the layout to be attractive. But so much space is dedicated to graphics--I wonder if/how much that will interfere with quick user functionality. (Do I really need to see large graphic images of shows that TiVo thinks I might like to watch?)

And so much attention seems to be paid to what a viewer might like to watch (at least in the video)--is that the emphasis that the average TiVo user has? Me, I typically use the box to record what I know I already want, and then to watch it--I less often/rarely go to the box because I have free time now and want the box to recommend a time-killer to me. (Having said that, I do like TiVo's Suggestions.)

Purepain and bbrown9 like this.
  9. Feb 24, 2017 #9 of 384
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    They didn't say which devices are getting it but Tivo said at CES that Hydra upgrading would be optional, and that you can't go back once you do.

A) Bad idea. People will be curious and some will hate it. Customer alienation.
    B) Don't upgrade until there are comprehensive videos and reviews of the UI in action from brave souls and you are confident it's what you want.

Personalization is useless without profiles. I already know my screen would be spammed to death with crap meant for 3.5 other people. Without any way of knowing who is sitting at the TV it's not even a question.

aaronwt, rifleman69, mrsean and 4 others like this.
  10. Feb 24, 2017 #10 of 384
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Gag! Nothing like using up all the screen space for B.S. that could have been used for useful information. Now I'l have to spend twice as long scrolling through shorter lists to find what I'm looking for. And the prediction nonsense will be an utter disaster. Every time the TiVo servers are slow (which is all the time), it will take an hour to go from one item to the next, and when the vast compute power of amazon can't even guess reasonable things I might want to buy on my amazon.com front page, I can imagine what sort of guesses the hopeless twits at TiVo will generate (my Roamio has already almost completely stopped recording any suggestions, so that might be a hint).

Razzer, V7Goose, slowbiscuit and 2 others like this.
  11. Feb 24, 2017 #11 of 384
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Very good point as to personalization. I wonder if this finally would incorporate the user profiles idea that people have suggested, both for predictions/suggestions and recorded content? Really needed in this paradigm, as you point out.

I found it interesting that Margret specifically mentioned the grid and chuckled at it being a user clamor-point--shouldn't that have been the TiVo Guide?

12. Feb 24, 2017 #12 of 384
    kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Didn't even think about this. Imagine all the blank thumbnail images because Tivo's server is down ;-)

-Kevin

13. Feb 24, 2017 #13 of 384
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    My question is, are users really using their TiVo's for content suggestions? Or is that really a sidelight, at best?

And/or, is this a way to get users away from their recorded content and more towards streaming content, for which direction TiVo could charge the content providers and generate revenue?

saronian and Africanlivedit like this.
  14. Feb 24, 2017 #14 of 384
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    A few tidbits from Dave Zatz as to the roll-out (seemingly already occurring/to start, in Spain?):
    New TiVo Hydra Interface

And a favorite reader comment there, from reader Jim:

aaronwt likes this.
  15. Feb 24, 2017 #15 of 384
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    "Having guide data problems? Look, pretty pictures."

No, that is not right at all, it goes more like this:
    Having guide data problems? Look spinning circles and blank tiles to distract you and redirect your anger.

If anybody believes that is not exactly what we are going to see, then they have not been paying attention.

NorthAlabama and Mikeguy like this.
  16. Feb 24, 2017 #16 of 384
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Personally I only care about the visual part of a UI as it pertains to usability so I will reserve my opinion until I can test this.

Regarding what equipment this will end up on, while I agree it would be nice to do like they did with the Premiere and let the use switch back and forth, any Series that doesn't get this pretty much means that series is end of life and will not be getting any regular software updates. So I hope it goes all the way back to the Premieres.

One thing is for certain, if I am given a choice I will not switch any time soon. The current UI does what I need it to do (as does the old SDUI on the Series 3 units), flashy pictures mean nothing to me and I know what I want to record and watch and never use search, suggestions, or wish-lists.

17. Feb 24, 2017 #17 of 384
    rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    Should I say it?

"Hail Hydra!" :p

18. Feb 24, 2017 #18 of 384
    samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    It really was a very short and not too informative video. Nothing surprising from Tivo, Inc.
    I do not trust them. I live alone and have almost 200 1P's so I do not need them to tell me what I might want to watch. Roamio Pro here. Also Margret did not say when this might be ready and do you really trust them to make it "optional"? Also one who says they would like to test it first...well we all know there is no testing or rollback with Tivo, Inc AND who would want it when it first came out. We still got bugs now...LOL.

I hate huge tiles (like X1). Also who knows if our current wonderful guide will still be there and what the Comcast OnDemand would look like (for those of us on Comcast) and most of all I did not see her show a screen to pick one of the latest things you were watching or a ScreenSaver.

I really wish I could get a dish, but I live in a condo and basic Comcast comes with it. It seems the video quality has gone down since they started to use MPEG-4 on some channels. A dish has such a much better video quality, BUT I still love my RP with 6 tuners always buffering and my 3Tb (wish I had more).

SO I GUESS WE SHALL SEE...:rolleyes::eek::D

19. Feb 24, 2017 #19 of 384
    Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    I am not saying this will not happen but at 2:26 Margret specifically states that the operators wanted to keep the grid guide. This can be for the MSOs only as this is rolling out in Spain on Vodafone. If we are the beta testers we should have gotten this already.

20. Feb 24, 2017 #20 of 384
    wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    Oh, you are a Marvel!