new Tivo HD sees my other Tivos but not the shows...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jshore, Sep 26, 2009.

1. jshore

jshore Member

Aug 17, 2003

Advertisements

Just got a new Tivo HD (my series 3 had a tuner go bad).... i've forced connections to tivo several times over last 24 hours and have latest version of software, and up-to-date guide info.

Problem is with MRV and Tivo Transfer.

My new Tivo sees my other two Tivos on our home network, but when i select one of them, i get the message "The (NAME) Tivo has no recordings." When i go to one of my other Tivos, they can see the new one but get the same message.

And my Tivo Transfer on my Mac can see both my older Tivos but not the new one.

I've made sure my settings on Tivo.com for this new Tivo have transfers enabled. I've rebooted everything a few times, including router, macs, and all the Tivos.

Tivo tech support says my settings probably haven't been downloaded yet. Maybe that's it. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and if there were any other paths to resolution.

Thanks!

2. jjcool

jjcool Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I have encountered this issue before. When I added the second Tivo to the network. The tivos could see each other in the now playing list, but it said there were no recording son either. The first tivo i got showed up with the correct name in the others list, but the new one showed up as "dvr" in the first ones list. Took maybe two days for the problem to correct itself. I would give it a little time. Once all the settings and the account get "finalized" you should be good to go. The fact that they can "see" each other, tells me that your network settings are setup, you just need to wait for the tivo setup to finalize.

3. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    yes, this is exactly as jjcool describes. TiVo's network needs 2-3 days to synch up with the hardware in your home to set the Media Acess Key to the same across all TiVo's on your account. Once that happens you will be able to use Multi Room Viewing.

4. jshore

jshore Member

Aug 17, 2003
    like tom petty says, "the waiting is the hardest part."

Thanks for the info!

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

Yeah, thanks. I just added a Tivo HD to my network yesterday and have the exact problem jshore describes. Guess I just need to wait too. I wonder if I could speed things up by forcing both machines to connect to the tivo service a few times or doing a few restarts. Seeing as neither is recording anything on a Sunday morning, it'll be a good time to try, I guess.

[edit] Nope, no luck there. My Tivo HD doesn't seem to be picking up its name yet, either, despite multiple connections to the service.
    [edit2] Of course, from the TivoHD FAQ, "If you just subscribed to TiVo service, be aware that it may take up to 48 hours for this functionality to be active."

6. jon01

jon01 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    long...
    i actually have had my tivo hd for a year or so now. im not able to go from my series 2 box and access the shows i have on my tivohd (theres both hd and sd shows available). the tivohd can see the shows on the series 2 no problem. i have been using tivo desktop to transfer shows from the tivohd.

any ideas?

7. Nov 7, 2009 #7 of 17
    ChuckBlues

ChuckBlues New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    @jon01 - a YEAR !!! ...oh no, that will not do ... I bought my TivoHD on Monday
    and set it up, today. I'm seeing the same thing that jjshore, jjcool, jjberger2341
    and justen_m are reporting ...
    TivoHD can connect to tivo.com and update and it "sees" the other series2 tivos
    on the network but the TivoHD seems to be unable to do MRV with the Series2.
    TivoHD is also unable to use any of the Web-based features like Yahoo weather,
    YouTube and other such internet features ...
    I'm hoping it all gets resolved in 2-3 days ...but if I'm not going to be able to do MRV to/from my TivoHD, I will be *very* unhappy because I only bought the TivoHD for
    standard programming (I don't have HD available yet) so I bought the HD for the added disk space for MRV with my other series2 machines ... If it won't be able to do MRV,
    I'll be very unhappy.

I will wait for a couple of days with great anticipation about the outcome; I checked over and over everywhere I could think of before buying this to be sure the Series3 was compatible (in SD) with the Series2 ...and I found a FAQ that said they were ...
    The "old" Series2 which is being replaced by the TivoHD is even being kept "active"
    so that I can transfer programs from my old Tivo to my new TivoHD so naturally I assumed MRV would work.
    Anyways ... does anyone know if there is any "official" word on whether MRV works between Series2 and Series3 ?

8. Nov 7, 2009 #8 of 17
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Give it a few days Chuck. That was my only solution. I tried everything. There is something on the tivo server that the boxes seem to require. It'd be nice if this was explained somewhere, but AFAIK, it isn't.

It actually took longer than 48 hours for mine to start working. So be patient. Wait a few days.

9. Nov 7, 2009 #9 of 17
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Do you happen to have a cable company tuning adapter on your TivoHD?
    I think I remember reading some people having problems where an S2 Tivo couldn't see the programs on an HD Tivo with the tuning adapter attached.

10. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    This is still happening (@ least for me). My S2s can no longer see the TiVoHD since the TA was installed.

11. sdcajack

sdcajack New Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Yes, it's a well-known bug with TAs, S3/TivoHDs, S2s, and MRV. There have been reports of this problem for months... since tuning adapters started being distributed widely. It seems clear to me recordings from SDV channels are being flagged in a way the S2 can't parse.

Unfortunately, Tivo tech support appears to be clueless on how to fix this seemingly straightforward problem. In fact, they likely won't even know what you're talking about.

If you call Tivo support about this, they'll likely have you reinitialize your Tivos... losing all your recordings and settings... and it won't fix the problem.

But good luck...

12. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I sent TiVoPony a private message regarding this when it started happening to me (April 2009). No response yet.

13. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    TiVoPony is a marketing guy. TiVoJerry would be a better choice for technical issues.

14. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    My bad.

Hey you are in my area and similar eq; do you have a TA and S3/S2 working with MRV?

15. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    FIOS doesn't use SDV. No problems with MRV (knock wood). Wish I could help there.

If FIOS is available to you I can highly recommend it, however.

16. smithduke

smithduke New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Having the same problem with my older series 2 Tivos. Yesterday I went to download a show from my "upstairs" Tivo and got the message that there are no shows and vice versa. I then discovered my "downstairs" Tivo wasn't connecting to the internet, even though I haven't changed my settings and everything else on my wireless network was working fine. While "negotiating" I got error message N17. Tivo instructed me to unplug the unit for 10 seconds and turn it back on. Now I can connect but it's still saying there are no shows on the other Tivo's. Why should have even happened in the first place? Something tell me it's on Tivo's end. The DVR's have also been very sluggish suddenly.

17. derywer

derywer New Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Yeah, thanks for info...