New Tivo HD Problem?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by davesanti, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 17
    davesanti

davesanti New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Ok, go the new set last night for my B day - very excited

I have an appointment with Comcast for Saturday to install the CC..

Here is my issue.. I did the setup for basic, analog temporary.. everything worked fine..

But after 10 minutes or so the picture will freeze up and nothing happens.. if I change the channel, they all appear grey. The machine itself is not hung up or frozen.. I can go through the menus etc..

Is this a cable issue or a Tivo issue... I dont want to go through the set up hassle on Saturday if I end up having to bring the machine in.

Dave

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 17
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 17
    jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    The update fixes cable card issues and isn't related to what he's experiencing.

It sounds like you have a weak/marginal cable signal going to the Tivo. Have you tried hooking it up from a wall outlet with a short piece of RG6 cable and no splitters/etc in the mix?

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 17
    rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    have you tried re-booting the machine? Sometimes the simplest solution solves the problem.

If that does not work, do a channel scan and test your signal strength.

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 17
    vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Have the cable tech measure your signal level when he shows up with the cablecards.

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 17
    davesanti

davesanti New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Thanks for the various responses. I will have the cable tech check signal strength. I called Tivo and they actually said it was a known issue and that a software update tonight will solve it.. sounds like BS to me, but we'll see. I will also try a better piece of Coax...

Re-boot does solve it but for like 10 minutes or so.. then it cuts out... leads me to believe that it isnt a signal strength issue.

Dave

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 17
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Force some calls home and your box should get the software update. If you see it say 'Pending Restart' then reboot to install it.

I'm not sure I'd believe this is part of the software fix. CSRs tend to over generalize. "Oh, we have a fix for video issues, this guy is talking about video issues, so that must be the fix."

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 17
    davesanti

davesanti New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    I have forced the update(s) ..still issues. I called Tivo back and they said they are still working on a software update to deal with the issue I described and it isnt complete yet, so I assume the one everyone is discussing isnt the one they referred to.

The CSR also said that the switcj to cable cards is listed as a solution to the issue. What I dont get is whether this is a known issue to all subscribers not (yet) using cable cards.. or if it is a select few..

Dave

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 17
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The current TivoHD software works much better with digital channels than it does analog. This probably stems from the fact that the TivoHD has entirely new hardware (different from the Series3) to handle analog channels, and they are still working out in the kinks in the drivers for that hardware.

I suspect the CableCard will resolve most of your problems. Comcast does digital simulcast in almost 100% of its markets now, so once you install the CableCard, the analog channels <100 should be replaced with digital versions.

10. davesanti

davesanti New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Thanks. I guess I will just be patient until Saturday and see if the CCs solve the issue.

Dave

11. Gleklen

Gleklen New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I believe that this is a hardware problem unrelated to signal strength (as I had it on only one of the two Tivos I bought). Although it's a bit unclear, the people in this thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=360604 could be read as reporting that it goes away once cable cards are installed. I chose not to risk it and returned the Tivo that had this problem.

12. davesanti

davesanti New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Update..

I continued to have problems with analog channels before CC install, so instead of risking a hardware problem, I returned it to BB and got another one. Analog channels worked fine from the get go and CC install on Saturday with Comcast Bay Area went without a hitch.

Dave

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Maybe this explains why the analog channels audio is sent as mono over L and R to my receiver. It happens on the HDMI, optical, and analog audio outs. I can't use the TiVoHD for any analog recordings until they get this fixed. I hoep they fix it soon.

14. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    I had a very similar problem. Getting lockups and the no background/gray backgrounds. It kept getting worse yesterday and so I tried to redo setup, it would get to the organising spot and reboot every time. I also started getting a reboot sometimes when I hit the tivo button. I ended up taking it back to CC and getting a new one. Repaird the cards this morning and no problems.

15. nowakezone

nowakezone New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Missouri
    I also experienced the same problem. After about 15 mins of video then the screen would go black with no video or audio. I could still see the tivo menus, but no video. The only way to get video back was to reboot the tivo. I spent about an hour on the phone with tivo tech support and she finally said the box is broke. I took it back to the store and got a new one and it has been fine. No problems at all.

16. davesanti

davesanti New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Tivo support told me it was a known problem and that software fixes would resolve..

In the end though I believe it was a hardware issue.. if you are experiencing the same issue I would strongly urge you to replace it with a new unit.

Dave

17. kochsr

kochsr New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    i am experiencing the exact same problem with my tivo. i kind of want to return it before i get the cablecards installed, but i also don't want to take it back because i am lazy.