New TiVo HD - pre-cable card install panic

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by LynnL999, Jun 8, 2009.

1. LynnL999

LynnL999 Active Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm returning to TiVo after 4 loooong years in cable-co DVR wilderness :) I have the TiVo installed and ran guided setup, and it's updated itself to version 11.something.

I am very nervous about the cable card install, scheduled for this weekend. I noticed that the flyer that came with my box (I'm pretty sure this is it) said that the cable card can be installed during at any time, but the instructions on the web site say that it should be done during a re-run of guided setup. I'm guessing I should go with the website?

My cable provider is Cox (Orange County, CA), and if there's anything else I should know that might help, I'd really appreciate it. My fear of the cable cards is why I've put off upgrading for so long.

2. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    "Before the Installer Arrives"

"Complete Guided Setup."

Which part is unclear?

3. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    You have done an initial guided setup without the card that is fine. This is basically for the cable or OTA. Once you put the card in you need to do the guided setup again to get the channels re-arranged with the cable card. Nothing to sweat. Even if you do not have all the channels initially the guided setup can be done. It is basically just for channel mapping.

The cable card setup itself is the thing to sweat. :p I hope it goes smoothly for you. Keep patient it will be worked out eventually,;)

4. LynnL999

LynnL999 Active Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Complete Guided Setup before the installer arrives is different than installing the cards DURING a second run of guided setup. That's the difference between the flyer and what the web site recommends.

5. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA

Advertisements

Read the website more carefully. It does not recommend doing it during guided setup. The instructions for "Before the installer arrives" states: